Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ALOT of blue smoke??

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 04:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ALOT of blue smoke??

I apologize in advance for the long post. I have a 98 Z28 M6 thats smoking like hell. Its definitely oil burning as Ive used 2 quarts in about 2500 miles. Im getting a puff on startup, light acceleration, heavy acceleration, and on deceleration after a hard pull. The first thing a checked was the PCV and I discovered that, unless Im missing something, my car doesnt have an actual PCV valve, it looks like one but its just an open nipple in a big round housing in the valve cover. But I did discover that the little rubber elbow coming off the "PCV" had a big hole in it, so I figured it wasnt pulling any pressure outta the crankcase on the driver side and was blowing oil outta the passenger side into the intake(dumb logic). So I fixed it with a new elbow and its still smoking the same amount. I have a catch can on the way but I was doing a little research and evidentally smoke on startup/deceleration is valve seals or guides, and smoke on acceleration is rings. So my question is if its possible that since the elbow had a hole in it and wasnt pulling pressure from the crankcase, it built up so much pressure that it messed up the valve seals AND rings? Also, the "PCV" and surrounding area was covered in oil so it mustve been blowing oil outta that hole in the elbow. Thanks for any help you guys can give me.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you wouldn't have built up pressure. even if you did it wouldn't be enough to kill your rings. have you ever had work done on your heads? it's most likely guides or seals. have those checked first. then do a leak down and compression check if your heads are fine.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:36 PM
Teching In

Yea its got 149,000 miles so its probably about time for some head work lol.
Old 06-05-2010, 01:26 PM
Teching In

Well the catch can didnt help...at all. So I guess its time to order a rebuild kit and some valve seals/guides.