Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

68 Z/28 project

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 03:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 68 Z/28 project

Ok so it goes like this. I've picked up a 1968 z/28 camaro project. Long story short I'm looking to build a true drivers car out of it. Something I can drive on the street as well as tare up the roads with. I'll be redoing the cars suspension and brakes to handle all the abuse from SCCA events and any perfect back road I can find. I'll also be putting the car on a diet, no A/C or creature comforts. The main issue i would like to get some feed back on is the engine aspect. I'll obviously be running an aluminum LS chevy, but I would like to get some information that can help me get my bearings straight, and subsequently get the wheels turning. I'm wondering which series I should be looking for ls1, 2, or 3. Dual carbs or efi? Cam specs, heads and what ever else I'm surly forgetting. I'm new to total car build ups as this is my first one. So, I figure this post will be a good place for all of us to BS about it. Also, if anyone out there is running a classic camaro in SCCA or Trans Am Series I would love to know about what you have encountered along the way in your build.

Thanks all
Old 06-07-2010, 09:27 AM
Teching In

whats the budget? an aluminum ls motor topped with a cowl induction cross ram (functional or fake) would be sick.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:54 AM
On The Tree

I would consider selling the car as a 68 z/28 (if it really is a z28) which is a very rare car, take the money, buy another 68, or a 69, and do what you want with it. If your car has any of the original parts at all, it's going to be worth something to someone.

Car for car, your z/28 is worth thousands more than a non-z/28 so should be able to fund a big part of your project. Or, sell the z and buy a car with a better body, then do your suspension and drivetrain swaps, again, using the value of the z to your advantage.

There's a thread running on a 69 Trans Am convertible. He's doing a beautiful job on the car, and would answer many of your questions. The important thing is his car is not really a 69 TA, it's a clone, if it was one of the 200 or what ever cars they made, he would have destroyed the value of a very collectable car.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:41 AM
11 Second Club

agreed with Mike
if it's real ... there were only around 7199 built ... if it's real

Quick Reply: 68 Z/28 project