Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Camaro LS1 Radiator questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 07:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2000 Camaro LS1 Radiator questions

I bought a "direct fit" LS1 Camaro radiator and had a few questions, this is supposed to be a direct bolt in for 2000-2002 F-body V8 using factory connectors and hoses.

I noticed the radiator had some funky C- clip type fittings on the cooler section. It's not the typical threaded fitting I'm accustomed to.

I'm using the 93-97 F-body V8 stock cooler lines and after I remove those fittings it leaves a female inverted flare opening that's larger than the 5/16" inverted flare males on my transmission cooler line. Maybe it's a 3/8" or 7/16" opening??

I was told that I should be able to thread my 5/16" inverted flare line straight into the 2000-2002 radiator.....but it won't.

Were these clip fittings stock on later camaros and firebirds?? Again this was supposed to be a direct fit for 2000 F-body, so if they sent me a radiator with the wrong fittings I would be pissed (even though it's not going in that make of car )

If so what did you do to make yours work? I mainly bought this radiator because of the steam line provision and it was a pretty good price.

Any sites for oddball brass fittings?...maybe I can get a 3/8" or 7/16" inverted flare that steps down to a 5/16" inverted flare for my lines.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:36 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have any info on fittings..... I run a T56 to avoid that sort of thing! LOL

The LT1 radiator is thicker, and has the steam line provision.... maybe just exchange it?

-jason
Old 06-09-2010, 10:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jaysz28
I don't have any info on fittings..... I run a T56 to avoid that sort of thing! LOL

The LT1 radiator is thicker, and has the steam line provision.... maybe just exchange it?

-jason
I got it cheap enough I may just pick up a LT1 radiator...it does have a steam line hook up?
Old 06-09-2010, 02:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

The fittings in the radiator are metric so they aren't interchangeable with your 76 Camaro fittings. I'm not sure of an adapter that is metric on one side and standard on the other but I'm not saying one doesn't exist.

The transmission uses the same style connectors with the E clips as you have on your radiator. I would cut and re-flare your transmission cooling lines with the proper connection or cut them off and have a short bit of rubber hose to connect the two.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks, I've been doing some research and found these:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HDA-397/

It looks like this is what's supposed to go into the radiator fitting.

The guy I got the tranny from left about 8" of tube on the pieces coming out of the tranny so I can flare them to slip on some hose or use a compression fitting and mate to the line I have.

What I have found out is that GM used these fittings on both the transmission and radiator from 1998 - 2002. The 1993-1997 cars used the 5/16" threaded fittings on both ends. The dealership confirmed that for me this morning.

I created a thread (that I deleted) a day before this one in the transmission section and a member pretty much cussed me and tried to make me look like an idiot because he told me that the 5/16" threaded fitting will screw into the 2000 radiator I have with no problem....and I disputed his claims and he got bent out of shape.

Last edited by 1976CamaroGuy; 06-10-2010 at 07:53 AM.

Quick Reply: 2000 Camaro LS1 Radiator questions