Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pinion Angle?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 08:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Pinion Angle?

So I've finally got my engine and trans mated and in it the car. Motor mounts are just tacked for now because I want to get the pinion angle correct. A few things...
1. As it sits right now, from center of the trans to center of the torque tube its 3 degrees downward.
2. its also not directly inline, meaning the torque tube is not centered, but the engine is.
3. The drive shaft over all length is around 24" ....

Most of the stuff I find online is for live axle cars. Mine is a IRS.
I've read anywhere between 2-5 degrees is good. Equal but opposite,from trans to diff/ torque tube. If anyone could shed some light on this topic it would be great as I'm sick of doing everything twice on this f- ing project. Really trying to aviod the WTF happened when I first drive it and it vibrates like crazy.

Thanks.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:30 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always strive to have the straightest line possible under hard acceleration. In your case would you want very little angle since the rear diff is stationary?
Old 06-10-2010, 02:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...line-101.shtml

Having an IRS doesn't really change anything. It does make it a little more simple since the diff doesn't move with the suspension.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's another explanation, pretty net...

http://www.hotrodlane.cc/ONLINETECH/...ineangles.html

Charlie
Old 06-11-2010, 09:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just finished setting up my drivetrain with IRS. I found alot of conflicting information until I found the website below.
www.vibratesoftware.com

read their info and download their software. Enter your numbers and you can determine if what you have is setup correctly.

Ultimately, IRS or not, you want to have as little offset as possible (meaning drivetrain is straight) and you also want working angles at the trans and diff equal and opposite. The working angles should preferably be between 0.5 and 3 degrees.

remember the working angle is the difference between the driveshaft and the trans or diff.

here are my numbers entered. You can see what my angles are at the diff and trans. On the upper right side of the picture, you can what my working angles are. Also note my working offset is 0.

Last edited by Schitzo; 06-11-2010 at 10:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Pinion Angle?