LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

What bearing clearances for 400rwhp + 250 shot, recommended oil weight?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 10:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What bearing clearances for 400rwhp + 250 shot, recommended oil weight?

I have pulled the block to install splayed mains and hellfire rings. But don't know what rod and main bearing clearances to go with for my iron lt1 355 block currently making 400rwhp that will have an additional 250 shot that will be spun to 7200rpms. What do you recommends?

Also do you have a recommended oil weight I should use with your recommended bearing clearances? What bearings should I go with?

Is the stock pressure oil pump with white spring good enough for 7200rpms?
Old 06-10-2010, 11:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why dont you get yourself a builder?

Not being a dick dude but an ls1tech opinon built motor isn't the best way to go about this.

If you're going to ask every single tiny little question about what you should do, you need a builder.

I applaud you for trying to learn, you just have to realize that this stuff comes with experience, not what someone says on the internet.

You'll find ways of doing things that half the time AT LEAST will contradict what "everybody else does", but it will work for you and yield the best results.

Not trying to be a dick, just think about it though.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gregrob
Why dont you get yourself a builder?

Not being a dick dude but an ls1tech opinon built motor isn't the best way to go about this.

If you're going to ask every single tiny little question about what you should do, you need a builder.

I applaud you for trying to learn, you just have to realize that this stuff comes with experience, not what someone says on the internet.

You'll find ways of doing things that half the time AT LEAST will contradict what "everybody else does", but it will work for you and yield the best results.

Not trying to be a dick, just think about it though.
I do have an engine builder who has done a great job. He will be doing this one as well. I always like to get other peoples opinions and double check with him. This is how I learn.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

I thought about it a minute and i think that a slightly looser than factory tolerence would be the most desirable. Atleast that is my theory and I have no way of proving if its right or not. but i am pretty sure that ring end gap is alot more crucial in a high power adder situation. Thats just my thoughts on the subject.