What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

1998 stock T/A 71k AUTO

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 06:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 stock T/A 71k AUTO

New to the board and figured i would look here for advice.

Im looking at a 1998 blue green chameleon T/A. Non WS6 All stock. Guy is asking $6900 for it.
The car has 71,000 miles on it and i got the autocheck on it and it checked out good. Scored 75 where similar cars scored 36-66 so im assuming thats good. Car looks to be in pretty good shape. Dash had the famous cracks in it but there were no other issues with the interior that i saw. Only a couple issues with the paint but ive seen alot worse. The power windows, doors, hatch, power seat, and everything else worked. A/C was good and stereo was good. The windows didnt roll up real fast but they worked. There are some issues with the car though and i wanted to discuss them here before i go any further. I drove the car today and i noticed at idle the oil pressure was anywhere from 10-20 and when i got on it the most it got to was about 50. Is this normal? Im assuming the car has 5w30 in it and was thinking by going to 10w30 the pressure would go up? I popped the hood and the oil was where it should be on the stick. Here are the other things i noticed

1. Steering didnt feel normal, car wasnt hard to turn but it definitely didnt feel right... thinking the power steering pump is either going out or about to. Is this a common issue? How much to fix?
2. The shades for the t-tops were missing. Not a big deal but something i would need to replace asap cause its hot in texas.
3. Passenger side lights would not pop up. More $$$ but should be an easy fix.
4. Left blinker apparently wasnt working cause i was damn near rear ended turning. It showed a steady green light on dash and not blinking. Probably a cheap, easy fix.

Any other issues with the car were cosmetic and expected for a 12 year old car. The guy wants $6900 for it but im thinking its too much. Any suggestions out there on what i should offer? The cars inspection sticker was out at end of May so hes gonna have to get the blinker, headlights, etc in working order to get the sticker. That is unless he knows someone who will do it anyways.
So, what should i offer? Im not sure how much he's willing to come off the price.

Thanks
CC
Old 06-14-2010, 02:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

I answered your question in the other section. I didn't ask about the Carfax results. It can be a useful tool, not totally reliable but helpful. The 'autocheck' scores are strange and I find them inaccurate. I'll spare you the many experiences and all the details but I sold a MINT showroom 12,000 original miles 2-owner Jaguar that scored low. I wouldn't put much stock into the scores.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:00 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah I was hoping to find someone who could run a carfax on it for me. Not sure if it's worth the $$$ since I already have a autocheck report on it.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by nochey
Yeah I was hoping to find someone who could run a carfax on it for me. Not sure if it's worth the $$$ since I already have a autocheck report on it.
Yes, it is worth the money. Spending $25 (or whatever it is now) on a major purchase is worth it. It gives you many reports, not just one. People have been saved by Carfax reports. On the other hand people have relied too much on them. There are incidents of accidents and damage not appearing. You really have to do your homework. Carfax is a very useful tool in your search, but not the final word.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

That's probably a decent price, considering the miles are really pretty low for a 98. Might be able to get him to drop down some because of the obvious things to fix. The constant turn arrow means either the front or the rear turn signal is burnt out. Might just be the bulbs, or it might be a deeper electrical problem. Does the headlight make any noise when it should pop up? Might be that the gear is stripped if you still hear some noise... if you don't hear noise the motor is probably out. My oil pressure def. fluctuates more when I run 5w30 (not as extreme as the one you are looking at though0 as opposed to when I run 10w30. I don't know if that is normal or not, but it happens on my car as well.

Also, I would get a carfax run on it, but it certainly will not tell you everything. I had to take my car in to have work done because a deer hit me, and the guy at the body shop was telling me everything that had been repaired on my car at some point, none of which was on a carfax.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:55 PM
Staging Lane

Heres the car

http://www.use.com/4041c5e997172b343c41#photo=2
Old 06-17-2010, 10:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks pretty nice actually

Quick Reply: 1998 stock T/A 71k AUTO