General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Is my TC fried??

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 05:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my TC fried??

Driving around today, my car was feeling weird. It would feel like it was caught in a gear and almost like it was kinda caught halfway between gear and neutral. On the way home when I would come to a stop it would be idling at regular rpm but idling really hard, and when driving, it would do the same about feeling out of gear then when it would catch gear, it would backfire. I pulled it over and checked the coolant seeing how its a bazillion degrees and surprisingly it was VERY low, although I don't have a leak, nor was the car overheating despite an hour and a half of highway driving today. So I topped it off and it seems to have helped a little bit, and it will drive normally most of the time, but will slip back into that other mode.

Oh and the SES light would be blinking whenever it would do it really bad.

Feels like it could be the torque converter not working right, or maybe a misfire? My dads bringing home the diagnostic computer so we can check the codes but if its something simple that'd be great. Cause i'm broke with a capital B.

forgot to mention, I filled up earlier today and it wasn't doing it until I did. Could I have gotten bad gas?
Old 06-18-2010, 11:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

nobody?
Old 06-19-2010, 10:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

aww comeon somebody must have had this happen before and can tell me what it is?
Old 06-19-2010, 12:24 PM
Teching In

The blinking SES light is definitely a misfire. Post back when you read the codes.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thats what I was thinking, it was blinking last time I had a misfire. Thank god... I think it may have to do with the spark plugs when we did my header swap...or maybe a wire is fried from the headers. either way, can't afford to fix it til friday, but at least its an easy fix.
Old 06-19-2010, 04:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hmm.. I just cleaned my MAF and went for a "spirited" drive and its definitely firing on all 8 again. Could something as simple as the MAF really cause the car to run bad?
Old 06-19-2010, 09:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

it started up again a little bit. Arghhhh this is frustrating the hell outta me. I'm gonna try to troubleshoot either tomorrow or monday. and pull the codes tomorrow.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

got the code today, p0300, random misfire. So i'm gonna get it on the verus at the shop tomorrow and see which cylinder it is and pull the plug. It might be where the dude gave me 2 different part number spark plugs at vatozone when we did the headers, but they were all gapped right and threaded right, but I suppose it ended up coming back to haunt me. Might be time for some NGK and MSD