Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

input shaft not pulling out of bell housing

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 01:19 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default input shaft not pulling out of bell housing

Sorry, i've seen this question come up a couple times but I can't seem to find a definte answer to my situation. The chiltons doesn't really go into it, and a couple writeup's out there seem to all be ls1 specific(but very helpful otherwise!!).

I've replacing the clutch on my stockish lt1. The trans/slave all that good stuff is stock. I've got the trans seperated from the bellhousing, and the clutch fork is off the throw out bearing.
I can't seem to pull the trans out thow. It's out about... 6" or so inches (i'm sure someone will crack a joke there). I can't jack up the rear of the trans any more, as the shifter portion of the trans is against the floorboard (yes, i removed the shifter, it's just the hole where the shifter/isolater cap goes in). Do I need to remove the TO bearing? There's a C spring/clamp thing on it. And I can't imagine the input shaft any longer than the length of the to bearing. Perhaps I should start removing the bellhousing from the block?

I hope there's still someone on tonight!
Old 06-20-2010, 05:50 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

lower it so all parts of the trans clear the floor and yank. The fork being unclipped from the TO brg was your last hitch.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you unhook all the wiring?
Old 06-20-2010, 07:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jmd
lower it so all parts of the trans clear the floor and yank. The fork being unclipped from the TO brg was your last hitch.
Yup that's it! I was nervous on dropping the trans lower for fear of stress on the input, but the shaft has quite a ways to move around in there once it's out of the pilot bearing. Basically one of the little "bumps" on the trans was hooking on another "bump" on the floorboard. Now to replace everything! Thanks guys!

Quick Reply: input shaft not pulling out of bell housing