Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rearend differences I'm seeing between my 96 and 97

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 08:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rearend differences I'm seeing between my 96 and 97

I read the sticky info and see that it explains that the torsen rearend will have gears in the carrier and the auburn will have yellow springs. I have have not opened up the rear in the new car yet but will be shortly.

I was however fixing some back brake issues the other day on my 97 and noticed that when I rotate one of the rear wheels in either direction, the other side goes in the exact same direction. Is this an indicator at all that there may be something else inside? I repeated this same thing on my 96 ss (wrecked now) and each wheel spins freely with no movement from the opposite side. Obviously there's something different between them. Is this a normal difference you can observe between torsen and auburn rears?
Old 06-22-2010, 08:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

Torsens didn't start being used as OEM differentials until 1999.
Auburns have 'cone' cluches,spider gears(just as an 'open-non posi' has) and 'yellow' springs.
The action on your 97 is typical of an Auburn and/or Eaton LSD.
The 96 is acting like an 'open',no positraction/limited slip at all.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

cool, thanks. My interest is mainly to figure out which rearend to have in the 97. Didn't know if the 96 has/had something better.

added info - dont know if this means much but, when the 96 was running, it spun both wheels nicely for burnouts yet, your saying it most likely has no positraction? not trying to argue, just looking to understand these different rearends.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

since Z28s' were taken from factory and worked/reworked(rearends included) into SSs' at SLP facility,without knowing the SLP order,who knows what mods were done at SLP.
I wasn't implying it had an 'open' rearend,I said it was acting like an 'open' rearend. A wornout 'posi' will act like an 'open' rearend.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks again. I appreciate the info. There's alot of things I'm digging into now since I'm swapping parts between these cars that I never gave to much thought to before.