LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 overheating on dyno?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 05:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 overheating on dyno?

Back from the dyno shop. What a ****** gong show.

Get there, spend like 40 minutes getting the car off the trailer, i had to use ramps under the ramps on the trailer, then plywood and 2x4's. It was ghetto.
Get the car in the shop, car is running awesome for the most part. Get up on the dyno, software and data scan tools all hooked up, getting ready for the parasitic draw test for the dyno.

He gets to about 130mph and all hell breaks loose at the over flow as there is coolant gushing all over the ******* place. He said the guage went from normal to red within seconds and came back down quickly to normal temp.

So what the ****, we let the car cool down, fill the rad, open 2 bleeders and run the car, took almost 15 minutes before the coolant even got to the one bleeder. Lines bled everything all fine and dandy, coolant levels fine.

Runs again and shuts down shortly after, temp raising again, what the ****!.

At this time we add more water into the over flow and check all levels, they are fine, bleed out another 5 minutes of air out of lines.

He forgets his computer on, battery dies on his laptop, screws up his software, but somehow my PCM survived. He can see all the settings and everything, but cant get into any of the tables..

The car is idling the entire time in the meantime, not one hiccup and held at 80* consistently without moving at all on the guage. We also notice at this time the fans arent running, turns out its the relay for high speed on both fans, so i only had low on one fan for the most part, however its been like this for a while as far as i know and hasnt been a issue yet for me. I changed all 3 relays today anyhow and it all seems to be working fine now.

He cant get his comp to work, we switch pcms, no dice. His software is messed. Only thing i got out of today was bill for $125 to tell me that i need to come back and that my air fuel ratio is lean as **** when you get on er, like 14-14.75 is at WOT. Also got a $80 bill for the trailer i rented.

So i can only assume it was an airflow issue on the dyno , with part bleeding needing to be done.

Its running awesome for me right now so i have no idea

Opinions welcome.

Last edited by 97lt1camaro; 06-22-2010 at 05:59 PM.