Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Rear glass not attached securely

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear glass not attached securely

So, I'm finding all the bugs in my new project car one by one and found another. I shut the rear hatch and noticed the glass jumped just a bit. Upon inspection, it looks like whatever glue or seal material along the lower/rear part of it is gone or just let loose. The window for the most part feels and appears to be held in place well except for that bottom edge. I'm sure if I sat in the trunk and pushed outward on it with some force I could pretty much pop the window out (unless there's some clips or screws holding it that I dont know about).

My questions are:
has anyone here ever replaced the back glass?
Will it just pop out/peel out with enough force?
What glue/sealer/fasteners will I need to fix this?

Or, would a auto glass company pretty much be my best bet?
Any idea on cost of taking this to someone?
Old 06-23-2010, 11:15 AM
Launching!

I had a problem that sounds similar on my '98 Z28. I could actually see daylight between the glass and the trunk. It was right at the bottom where the water pools when the car gets wet. My trunk flooded several times. I just squirted black rtv into the gap and it fixed my problem for good. Make sure you're generous with the rtv application. I smeared some beyond the gap on the window seal just to make sure I wasn't missing any small gaps.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:58 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by hyperzone
So, I'm finding all the bugs in my new project car one by one and found another. I shut the rear hatch and noticed the glass jumped just a bit. Upon inspection, it looks like whatever glue or seal material along the lower/rear part of it is gone or just let loose. The window for the most part feels and appears to be held in place well except for that bottom edge. I'm sure if I sat in the trunk and pushed outward on it with some force I could pretty much pop the window out (unless there's some clips or screws holding it that I dont know about).

My questions are:
has anyone here ever replaced the back glass?
Will it just pop out/peel out with enough force?
What glue/sealer/fasteners will I need to fix this?

Or, would a auto glass company pretty much be my best bet?
Any idea on cost of taking this to someone?
I used to be a glass mechanic, years ago. The urethane/tape kit that holds that glass in is just letting go. Could be rust i nthat area or hopefully the urethane has just come loose.

You could get a glass shop to squirt some new urethane in that area, and in both directions for about another 12 inches so you are sure its all getting sealed...........or you can take the glass out to see if there is rust, clean the pinchweld up and clean the old urethane off the glass....and re-install it with a new tape kit and urethane.

Its not to hard to get it out. You need to get piano wire and saw it out. But.....those tempered pieces of glass can explode if the slightest little tiny chip is pulled from the edge of the glass while pulling it out. They also have this new nifty tool that can probably reach under the glass from the interior side and piano wire would not be needed. If that tool works, you might not need to buy a new moulding to go around the edge of the glass when you put it back in. It might be saved.

I would let a glass place R&R it. I would think the charge would be about $80.00 for that...but its been awhile and might be more.

If you don't want to check for rust.....they would probably charge you $20.00 to squirt new urethane in that area. It would take maybe 5 minutes to do it if the interior pieces are already off.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

It seems like its just the seal letting go a bit. I dont think there's any rust. I'm leaning towards letting an auto glass place R&R it just so that its done right. I'm sure its an easy DIY fix with the right sealant but, I'll probably let a pro handle it if its less than a 100 bucks. Thanks for the info though.

Quick Reply: Rear glass not attached securely