Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 05:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator Question

I have been doing some searching and can't seem to find what I'm looking for on here. I am putting a 6.0L with a carb into my 79 Malibu.

My question is what is the best way to wire the alternator up? Is there any particular year alternators that work better than other? I have seen the info about the 480ohm resistor but wasn't sure if this is for the EFI setups or Carb applications. Would a one wire alternator be my best bet? If so does any one have part number for a one wire alternator that has the same mounting points as the stock LS1 alternators?

The alternator will be the only accessory on this motor and will be mounted low on the driver side of the block.

Thanks in advance
Old 06-24-2010, 06:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you are carb'd there just get whatever alternator fits your bracket and has the right pulley for whatever belt you are using. If you get an alternator off an LS motor, then you need some resistance in the voltage sensing wire. Best thing to use is the idiot light on the dash (must be a bulb and not an LED). If you don't want/have a charge light, then use the 470 ohm resistor.

With the exception of the resistor/bulb wiring up an alternator on a carb’d LS motor is exactly the same as a first gen motor.

Quick Reply: Alternator Question