Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Interested in LSx swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 09:33 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interested in LSx swap

I recently drove my cousins LS1 GTO and was rather impressed with the motor. Nice tq and linear power.

The car was nice an all, but seemed a bit on the heavy side. I've ridden in his 99 LS6 powered Ws6 before as well, and really liked that car.

A bit of my background- I'm coming over from the import world. No not hondas, they're wrong wheel drive. I've owned 7 Nissan 240sx's over the years, and while they're fun little cars, they're hardly fast.

Basically, I'm here to learn about LS1, and LS2 as options for a motor swap. Price, performance and strength/ reliability for upgrades. I'm currently trying to figure out if the LS2 is worth the money over a LS1... To be honest, either motor is over kill for the car its going in, but overkill= good IMO.

I'm looking at LSx options for a 74' 260Z. With an all aluminum motor and some weight reduction I figure it should weigh in at about 2300- 2400 lbs.

Immediate goals would be sourcing/installing Lsx, and getting it to 400whp.

Hopefully you guys can steer me in the right direction for this epic build...
Old 06-26-2010, 11:32 AM
Teching In

update. My cousin may have just scored me a free Lsx...
Old 06-26-2010, 12:53 PM
On The Tree

An LS in a 74 260Z is a cool project.
That will be mint when its done. Either the LS1 or the later LS2 would be great in that car. Maybe do a quick cam swap before you install the motor.
Welcome!
--Glenn
Old 06-27-2010, 10:27 AM
Teching In

thanks! Cams, huh? Its quite different how often people mention cams in domestics vs imports...

I'd love to rock a ls2, I'm still trying to figure out if the price difference is worth the extra displacement.

The motor my cousin might have for me is a 6.0 truck motor. heavier, but I can live with it for free, at least till I can get an aluminum short block.