What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

Whats it worth? 98 Turbo Trans AM

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 09:54 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats it worth? 98 Turbo Trans AM

ok guys whats my car worth? Honestly, i mean i have so much money invested in the thing and cant even sell it dirt cheap....

here the car is currently on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...%3AMESELX%3AIT

I just dont understand Im gonna lose my *** on the price listed the way it is i refuse to go any lower than the $12,000 reserve...

What do you guys think????
Old 06-29-2010, 08:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

That is one heck of an ebay ad. I enjoyed reading it anyway. Now the real problem and it has been stated over and over again here in this section. You only get a fraction back on most mods. It is going to HURT, no other way to deal with it unless you find that one certain buyer that wants exactly what you have done to the car. If you have $10,000 in mods (just a round figure) plan on getting back maybe $2,500. Add on the car itself, a '98 T/A, and you can come up with a price. I haven't looked at www.kbb.com for awhile but let's just say the car is worth $7,500 'private party'. Add on the $2,500 in mods and your price should be about $10,000. Now you have to find a kid or young man with cash to buy it. In these times that is extremely difficult. This is a very tough sell! The number of buyers looking for a car like this is very small. Good luck with the ebay ad. Maybe you will find that certain buyer.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, It has all of the things I look for when i'm looking for an F-body- Turbo, Turbo 400, 9 inch rear end. I wont even look an over 9k F-body if it still has the 10 bolt knowing I'm going to pay $3500 for a rear end. The only thing that is a slight turn off is the 5.3 and thats only slight. If your were interested in a half trade I could do 6k and the V8 280Z
Attached Thumbnails Whats it worth? 98 Turbo Trans AM-left.jpg  
Old 06-29-2010, 11:39 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by NC01TA
That is one heck of an ebay ad. I enjoyed reading it anyway. Now the real problem and it has been stated over and over again here in this section. You only get a fraction back on most mods. It is going to HURT, no other way to deal with it unless you find that one certain buyer that wants exactly what you have done to the car. If you have $10,000 in mods (just a round figure) plan on getting back maybe $2,500. Add on the car itself, a '98 T/A, and you can come up with a price. I haven't looked at www.kbb.com for awhile but let's just say the car is worth $7,500 'private party'. Add on the $2,500 in mods and your price should be about $10,000. Now you have to find a kid or young man with cash to buy it. In these times that is extremely difficult. This is a very tough sell! The number of buyers looking for a car like this is very small. Good luck with the ebay ad. Maybe you will find that certain buyer.
Ya i hear ya man, but dang the price listed is taking a HUGE hit i will just keep it if i cant even get that out of it..
Old 06-29-2010, 11:45 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by TT632
Personally, It has all of the things I look for when i'm looking for an F-body- Turbo, Turbo 400, 9 inch rear end. I wont even look an over 9k F-body if it still has the 10 bolt knowing I'm going to pay $3500 for a rear end. The only thing that is a slight turn off is the 5.3 and thats only slight. If your were interested in a half trade I could do 6k and the V8 280Z
ya i hear that alot about the 5.3 (people dont believe its a 5.3 most of the time hahahahaha), but dang after going through 2 ls1's (ringlands) with moderate boost i was fed up... the 5.3 has proven itself over and over again, its a very strong little motor.. and the power they make compared to ls1's in a boosted application is almost identical they just last ALOT longer...

I also have another shortblock sitting here, i was gonna use it for another build but dont have the time for another project... i build them over the winter then work to much over the spring/summer/fall i dont get to enjoy them... I would throw in the shortblock if someone wants it with the car..
Old 06-30-2010, 08:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im kinda in the same boat as you... 10sec black TA 18k miles, supercharged, forged ls6, 12bolt, th400. People just arent buying 'toys' right now... Sucks. Personally i think your best bet is to pay it off and keep if... if you can.

Although i have to admit i just saw a fairly stock car go for 14k. I dont know how he did it. I guess its just a matter if sticking to your price and finding the right person.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:44 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by xxrillixx
Im kinda in the same boat as you... 10sec black TA 18k miles, supercharged, forged ls6, 12bolt, th400. People just arent buying 'toys' right now... Sucks. Personally i think your best bet is to pay it off and keep if... if you can.

Although i have to admit i just saw a fairly stock car go for 14k. I dont know how he did it. I guess its just a matter if sticking to your price and finding the right person.
ya man im just gonna hang on to it till someone gives what i want out of it, wich isnt much compared to what it cost to build.

Dont ever have time to drive it but it will sit there until i get the cash price i want or someone comes up with a good trade.

I have a guy with an 03 Trailblazer stopping by on the 4th... we might trade+ $3k cash....