Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone had this problem!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 12:55 AM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Has anyone had this problem!

My Trans Am is a 02 WS6 6 speed it had 56,000 on it when we bought it but it was weak as a kitten. I have driven two other stock LS1 cars a 01 A4 WS6 and a 01 M6 WS6. In stock trim both would have obliterated my car. I couldn't believe the difference. But after only headers and a 3.73 gear its like an entirely different car. Is it possible my cats were stopped up or something I know its not important now but I was just wondering if any one else had experienced something like this.
Thanks in Advance
Old 06-29-2010, 02:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, that could of been what was causing the power loss. On my dads saturn he was having some power loss issues and it ended up being his cat. It wasnt clogged enough to throw a code but was causing lower MPG's and loss of power. If that is all you changed I would bet that was the problem.
Did you do a tune up with the headers? could have been you had some bad plugs or wires if those were replaced with the headers
Old 06-29-2010, 02:43 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine had a bit of a mood swing with me once when it was sucking down about 3 gal of gas in 10 miles.. NO fkn idea wth was up there! But it didn't last long.

May have been a cat issue, but mine didn't last long. After a couple hard pulls, the stone in the cat loosened up and they started rattling. Installed the LT's after that anyway.

If you didn't get it tuned for the LT's and the other mods, I'd say do that. It makes a HUGE difference and is a key to having a healthy setup..
Old 06-29-2010, 02:25 PM
10 Second Club

Well come to think of it, there was something rattling towards the front of the car but the exhaust shop said it was the 02 sensor rattling but i bet it was the cats. The clutch was about gone it was ok for normal driving but you could drop it in 1st and it'd spin then go to grab second and it'd blow by the clutch had that changed a little while after the headers but I put MSD wires on it right after I got it and when I had the headers put on I had the plugs changed.Right now I'm waiting to get it back from having my Torquer 2 and a 4.10s installed gonna run on a TSP mail order tune for now. But it never missed ran smooth as could be just no power. If it was a cat nearly clogged that wouldn't have damaged anything would it. Car still runs strong at 72000.
Thanks
Old 06-29-2010, 03:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

even though the car feels better now, if it was that much of a pig I would check for codes, clean the MAF sensor, and check the plugs and wires
Old 06-29-2010, 11:19 PM
10 Second Club

Well the headers have been on for probably a couple years now. The first thing I done when I got the car was cleaned the throttle body, took out the screen in the MAF, changed the air filter (don't think I've ever seen that many bugs in one place), fuel filter. Then I changed the wires after they came in. Nothing made a difference until the headers. With just the bolt ons, headers, exhaust, pulley, Flowpac, 373s I can pull about a car and a half on a stock car from about 50 to 85. With a passenger. Does that sound about right?
thanks