Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

M6 4th gear issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 08:18 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M6 4th gear issues

I am having some issues with my transmission, 4th gear grinds sorta when i am power shifting but shifts fine under normal driving. It will not go in second gear at all if im shifting over 5k rpm. I do not drive my car hard very often but Im worried my trans is gettin worn out, I have 150k on the car, and about 4k on a heads/cam swap. What my question is is which option is better: buy a transmission that has been built, buy the parts to build my own, if so is this a tricky process? I Have no experience with transmissions, or send my original transmission somewhere to have it beefed up? I know it has alot of miles on it and something will need to be done eventually anyway. Any feedback is appreciated, thanks!
Old 06-29-2010, 08:56 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by baddbird99
I am having some issues with my transmission, 4th gear grinds sorta when i am power shifting but shifts fine under normal driving. It will not go in second gear at all if im shifting over 5k rpm. I do not drive my car hard very often but Im worried my trans is gettin worn out, I have 150k on the car, and about 4k on a heads/cam swap. What my question is is which option is better: buy a transmission that has been built, buy the parts to build my own, if so is this a tricky process? I Have no experience with transmissions, or send my original transmission somewhere to have it beefed up? I know it has alot of miles on it and something will need to be done eventually anyway. Any feedback is appreciated, thanks!
1) Replace Clutch Master Fluid to DOT4 and Consider the Drill Mod to the Line

See where that gets you. Also check for clutch Drag (park on flat surface, engage cluth, rev to 5k and see if it creeps, IF it does then you have an issue.)

PERSONALLY, I would at minimum do a new clutch set up and flywheel, with new GM Slave Cyl and Pilot Bearing and a Tick Performance Master Cyl as the Adjustibility will help you greatly.

As for clutch choice, there are tons out there. Depending on your wallet and driving style.

I personally use textralia OZ-700 Z Grip as it allows to be slipped and hold A LOT of power. Not cheap but compared to it's equivilents, its on par.

BUT the Tick Master Cyl will be the biggest improvement in your shifting bar none. IF ANYTHING, get this and bleed the fluids but given the Milage, you may want a rebuild as well just to ensure everything is fine.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:56 AM
Staging Lane

I have about 6k miles on a centerforce clutch, and new throw out and pilot shaft bearings. I did not replace the slave cylinder. This problem just arose after i let my friend drive my car, he was not use to the gears and tried power shifting, missing second completely and grinding fourth hard before i got him stopped, he has a 5 speed mustang so i gave him more confidence than was due in his ability to drive a manual apparently. And what is the drill mod? I have heard something about it but i dont know the details on it, also i am looking at upgrading my clutch shortly so i will for sure replaace the slave cylinder, I was checking out the new Monster clutches? From what ive read they seem to be a decent clutch?
Old 06-29-2010, 11:21 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by baddbird99
I have about 6k miles on a centerforce clutch, and new throw out and pilot shaft bearings. I did not replace the slave cylinder. This problem just arose after i let my friend drive my car, he was not use to the gears and tried power shifting, missing second completely and grinding fourth hard before i got him stopped, he has a 5 speed mustang so i gave him more confidence than was due in his ability to drive a manual apparently. And what is the drill mod? I have heard something about it but i dont know the details on it, also i am looking at upgrading my clutch shortly so i will for sure replaace the slave cylinder, I was checking out the new Monster clutches? From what ive read they seem to be a decent clutch?
I see 2 issues.

1) Your friend probably broke your transmission and IMO he should be helping with the cost. Most Mustangs had a Cable Operated clutch and due to either improper bleeds, clutch draging, or simply driver error he f*cked up the internals.

2) You did not upgraded the Clutch Master Cyl.

Drill mod is for stock Clutch masters where you take out the restriction but if you get the Tick master which you should be, it will not have that restriction.

As for clutch choice, Monster Is a Sponsor and thats where I leave that. IMO there are some great companies out there, do some searching through posts and see what comes up. Like said the Textralia Clutch is virtually guarrenteed to be Idiot Proof, so as long as they are not trying to powershift your transmission.

Which BTW you can do with a Tick Perf. Master Cyl.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:03 AM
Staging Lane

I appreciate the feedback, i will look into some different clutches and slave cylinders, as for the transmission issue, which is the best approach, upgrade my current? if so what parts would i be replacing, or buy one that has already been upgraded? i understand that switching tail shaft spline count from 26 to 32 (not sure if those are right numbers those just seem to be what i remember from before) is common, that would mean i would need a front drive shaft yoke as well right? Or is there somewhere that i can send my t-56 to have this work done? This transmission stuff is pretty new to me.

Quick Reply: M6 4th gear issues