Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

LSx retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 02:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LSx retrofit

Hey everyone,

I am currently planning a build for a 66 chevelle which I would want to be retrofitted with an LSx. I have veryyyyyy little knowledge and probably less experience with these sorts of things but it is very interesting to me. I was reading about the LSx engines on wikipedia and got the impression that the pontiac and chevrolet engines became the same with these LSx's??? Is that true?

The reason I ask is because my friend has an '02 Firebird (ws something i think, high performance) that he no longer uses (he got married). Its been in his garage for a few years and he would probably let it go to me very cheap and if the drivetrain is the same in those late model camaros and firebirds then I could perhaps get this build going....but I have a feeling my impression from reading is wrong....I need guidance! haha thanks!
Old 07-10-2010, 05:07 PM
On The Tree

Welcome to Tech
Your friends Bird was probably a WS6 model. The LS engines used in all GM (family) vehicles are interchangeable.
So the LS1 in the WS6 your friend has would be a great swap idea for your 66. There should be several vendors out there making engine mounts and possibly even whole swap kits depending on how much money you wanted to spend and / or what details your swap includes.
Be sure to check out the Conversions and Hybrids section of this forum to see what other people with similar vehicles are doing with their swaps and retrofits and also to get to learn some of the key ideas and vendors for the things you will need.

The story about how much time and effort GM put into creating the LS series of engines is both interesting and impressive.
Enjoy the site, theres alot of great knowledge and help here for your project.
--Glenn
Old 07-10-2010, 06:26 PM
Teching In

Awesome Glenn, I really appreciate the info! Do you know where I would find these mounts or swap kits perhaps? I will do a google search and definitely check out the hybrids section.

So now, all future performance parts for this engine would be for an LSx rather than for a "2002 Firebird" or "2001 Camaro SS" correct?

That's amazing! Is the displacement and internal specs the same as an LS Camaro??
Old 07-10-2010, 06:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'd hate to see a Trans Am gutted just for the motor when you can get salvaged motors at a reasonable price.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:02 PM
On The Tree

Kcorona,
I would suggest either searching or just reading through posts in the Conversions and Hybrids section.
I think you will find several people working on similar swaps as what you are looking to do. Keep in mind also that though you are looking to do a LS1 into a 66 Chevelle, there are many times similar model cars either by Chevrolet or sister companies that use the same chassis. With that in mind, you could find useful Threads on Tech about LS swaps and part #s even though their car isnt your car exactly, but uses the same chassis. I hope i made that clear for you.
Now as far as the engine you are considering using.... It is first and foremost an LS1. Secondly its "technically" from a 02 WS6 Firebird. If you need parts specific to that engine and have to give someone information for a part for your motor, besides just letting them know its an LS1, it might help more to let them know its original application. In this case a 02 Firebird WS6.
Though all LS family engines share the same external dimensions, there will still be slight differences in parts over the years when parts get revised or specs for certain engines are changed year to year for increased performance.
A quick example might be the the LS1 and the LS6. Both are based off the original LS1 architecture, but the LS6 is a revised LS1 for the Corvette with better breathing cam, heads and intake manifold. Mind you there are many small differences, but those are some major ones. The good thing is that though the two engines are listed as being 'different' LS engines, all the parts are compatible between the two for the most part.
Now at this stage there are so many different LS engines offered by GM that its quite confusing to keep track of them and will require a dedicated effort on your part to learn all the things that make each engine in the LS family unique-- or at least learn enough to do your engine swap and get your car running just how you want!
--Good luck
--Glenn
Old 07-10-2010, 08:22 PM
On The Tree

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-chevelle.html
I did an Advanced Search specifically in the Conversions and Hybrids section. I got quite a number of results, but this one caught my eye in regards to what you are considering for your 66.
--Glenn
Old 07-11-2010, 11:01 AM
Teching In

that is awesome and thank you so much for sharing this info and doing that search. all this reading and these responses get me so pumped up!