Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Snapped a bolt off of the stock manifold, what now?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 02:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Snapped a bolt off of the stock manifold, what now?

Hello!
I'm in the process of swapping my trans, and was removing my Y pipe to allow the motor to drop lower.... In doing this, the nut was siezed and I snapped one of the 3 bolts on the passenger side manifold flange in half (not flat with the flange). What now? Can I use a stud remove to get this thing off, or do I need to get creative with a drill? I'm guessing that If I use 2 of the 3 bolts, I'll end up with an exhaust leak, right?

Thanks!
Old 07-12-2010, 03:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would soak it in PB blaster and try some vice grips on the stud. If that doesn't work I would grind the stud flat with the flange and drill it out. You want all 3 bolts in there, 2 would cause a leak. Or you could just get some long tubes and a new Y pipe and make some more power on the deal
Old 07-12-2010, 08:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

If you have a portion of the bolt protruding you can slip a nut slightly larger than the stud over it and weld the nut to the broken piece. Preferably stainless steel electrode. 9 times out of 10 the stud will back right out. Heat plus over 300,000 ksi electrode metal works. Bill
Old 07-12-2010, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

try searching for a used one. here's one in TX, not sure if its the one you need or has good studs:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/texas-cla...-truck-im.html