Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Fire

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 09:30 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Engine Fire

Looking around for an LQ4 or LQ9 at junkyards and see they go pretty cheap when they are in a fire of some sort. Im gonna go carbed so I dont care if the intake and harness is all burnt BUT wanted to know if I should look for something else? I mean is there a possibility that the heads warped from heat or something crazy like that? Internal damage? Im learning.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:00 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The main issue I've run across with engines from burnt vehicles is water in the cylinders. If you can find a lightly burnt engine where the intake is still mostly intact you may be okay. Most of the time though the intake is melted and the water used to extinguish the fire ends up in the engine. I would pull the heads off of the engine before forking any money over for it.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:28 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 2002 Z28 burnt back in 2006 and I've currently got the block and crank in my '02 CETA.

I've never had an issue with it, but I had it checked by the machine shop before I started to put it together. On another note the headers in the pic went on my CETA about three months after this and were just taken off and replaced with a set of Kooks

Here is what it looked like a couple hours after the fire