Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

need a new tranny, suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 12:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need a new tranny, suggestions?

so the T-56 in my TA is totally shot. i thought about sending it into Tick Performance for a rebuild but i don't know what all is screwed up inside the tranny and end up having to pay more in the long run so i'd rather just buy something new and not worry. any ideas what to get? i would like something that's a little better than stock because i want to start modding it here in a couple months when it's paid off. any input would be greatly appreciated. thanks
Old 07-15-2010, 05:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No need to buy a new tranny, any reputation shop here can help beefy that tranny up, and it even better then buy a brand new tranny. depend on your goal. and how much moneys you want to spend. Do a search and call and ask question who ever build your tranny, tell em everything you want to ask, if they dont like to answer any of your question, I move to another one fast. or just wait for more option from member here. My first pick. might look into getting better clutch ( monster hehe ) and rear end too, but all down depend on your hp goal and how much you want to spend.

http://www.texasdrivetrainperformance.com/t56.html
Old 07-15-2010, 08:38 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am assuming Tick told you it's totally f*cked??

IF not then let them Diag it and advise.

IF you going for a new trans get a M12 from the GTO and get it through them with all the upgrades. Better Ratios from 1st to 3rd and 5th and 6th are higher as well. Good for heavy cars.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by killagt
No need to buy a new tranny, any reputation shop here can help beefy that tranny up, and it even better then buy a brand new tranny. depend on your goal. and how much moneys you want to spend. Do a search and call and ask question who ever build your tranny, tell em everything you want to ask, if they dont like to answer any of your question, I move to another one fast. or just wait for more option from member here. My first pick. might look into getting better clutch ( monster hehe ) and rear end too, but all down depend on your hp goal and how much you want to spend.

http://www.texasdrivetrainperformance.com/t56.html

+1, but opt for texas drivetrain performance clutch...Diamond clutch. He does awesome work and his clutch is the best single disk clutch on the market, IMHO!!! I run his stage 3, and I had my tranny rebuilt by him.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:50 PM
Teching In

well there's a small story about why i want to go with a new tranny. i havent had it checked out by anyone other than my mechanic friend at a local dealership and he said my input and output shaft bearings are totally shot. and when i was driving it home after he looked at it, i think it totally went out on me when i pulled onto my street. i was able to coast into my driveway but now the car wont move. i can start it up but if i let me clutch out then it starts clunking very loudly. so i wouldn't want to go through the hassle of sending it somewhere to get rebuilt and finding out that it might cost more to fix than it would be to buy a new one. i just dont know what else would be screwed up inside other than the obvious and if it's fixable or not. also, i just put a new LS7 clutch in it this winter and it's been driven maybe 10 miles since the install so i dont want to buy something that needs a different clutch. this most likely wont be a track car and may only see a strip a couple times so i dont need a crazy setup. just something that will handle between 450-500 whp eventually.

Last edited by WS6dude99; 07-19-2010 at 08:55 PM.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:03 PM
Teching In

Same EXACT thing happened to me two days ago dude... replaced my clutch with a level three from Monster. Same symptoms and everything. Just pulled my transmission and the input shaft (4th gear) doesn't rotate at all... I don't really know what company to go to either.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:44 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone can send us their transmission and we'll tear it down/diagnose it. Before doing any work we notify every customer of additional costs. If the damage done will cost more than the customer is comfortable with, we'll usually make a reasonable offer for the "core" depending on the damage. That way even if the trans is total junk the shipping doesn't cost you anything and theres a chance to atleast make a couple hundred extra bucks off of it.

With buying cores like this we often have quite a few used parts on hand...so what you think may be a very expensive repair doesn't always turn out to be that expensive. We usually sell good used parts for 1/2 the price of new when we have them.