Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

ac belt alignment?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 05:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ac belt alignment?

hey guys i need a little help. i just put a new motor in my 04 and i'm having a small issue. the ac belt jumps to the front of the compressor at start up. it rides about a 1/4 inch over the front wall of the compressor pulley. on the crank pulley it's fine and the main serp belt looks completely centered on all pulleys. i thought the belt might be loose so i swapped it with a new #5040400 and it was tight to get on. started it up and the same thing. the car does have an under drive pulley on it( don't know the brand). i don't think there is any adjustment in the compressor bracket and if there was i'd be riding off the tensioner by the same amount. any help is greatly appreciated
Old 07-15-2010, 05:52 PM
TECH Regular

did you put the ac compressor bracket on right?
Old 07-15-2010, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nick.celis
did you put the ac compressor bracket on right?
my buddy actually put the ac and bracket on. it looks like it can only go on 1 way but i'm not positive. can it be on wrong? is there any adjustment in it?
Old 07-15-2010, 09:32 PM
TECH Regular

not on the ac compressor, that seems odd it wont line up with the other pulleys, because if its installed properly, it should line up. and actually, it could be on wrong because theres 3 bolt holes, he might have put the bracket for the compressor one bolt behind where it needs to go. thats about the only reason i see why it wouldnt line up.

Quick Reply: ac belt alignment?