Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Tire Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 12:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Tire Help

So I drive 100 miles each way to work every day in my 98Z. Goodyear does not make my normal tire anymore. I've tried Yoko and bridgestone and about half way thru the tire maybe 20,000 miles they get noisy. Does anyone have any suggeations for a tire that will get about 40,000 miles and not make me crazy with the noise? Thank You All.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

Road noise is an issue for many performance tires once the tread gets more than halfway through. I fully expect it on my T/A that is currently wearing the Goodyear F1 GS-D3. Only 6000 miles on them so far. I also wanted a tire that would last longer than the typical 15,000 - 20,000 miles you can get out of a 'soft compound' tire. I am a BIG Goodyear fan (except for my 911) so I thought I would try a set of Goodyear F1 A/S tires for my Bimmer but that didn't work either. The road noise is pretty bad right now after 21,000 miles, even though I have quite a bit of tread left. Just for grins I recently went to a Firestone dealer and they could not assure me that a similar Firestone or Bridgestone tire would be any different than my Goodyears. I appreciated the honesty. Doesn't Goodyear make an Assurance Tripletred for your car? They have a version with an excellent 'speed rating' too. I used a set on a passenger type Chevy that I owned for many years and I ran an easy 40,000 miles with tread still left when I sold it. There was NO road noise and decent performance too. I was meticulous about tire pressure and rotating every 7500 miles. It isn't an F1 tire by any stretch but I don't know how you use your car other than a commute. It isn't just a passenger car tire though. It is much better than that. Now if you are 'lighting up' the asphalt all the time then this would not be the right choice. Just an option I'm throwing out there. It was a very good overall tire, both dry and wet. You would still need to be real careful in the rain though with your Camaro. I would get another set but I need the superb cornering and 'stick' that the F1 tire brings. Not sure if anything is out there that gives you everything. I have Michelin A/S PS on my 911 but I can't assess them fairly yet as I only have 4,000 miles on them. Good luck with your choice.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:46 PM
TECH Addict

Thanx for the reply NC01TX I was wondering if anyone used tries anymore lol. Well I run up and down I-85 from Charlotte to Asheboro every day and need a good tire to get me thru traffic. I am a Goodyear Fan and used the Eagle GT for many years but they no longer make them. I will look for this Assurance Tripletred and see if it comes in my size.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had Sumitomo for a long time and never noticed noise, but then again between my Loudmouth and stereo, who would.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1121
Thanx for the reply NC01TX I was wondering if anyone used tries anymore lol. Well I run up and down I-85 from Charlotte to Asheboro every day and need a good tire to get me thru traffic. I am a Goodyear Fan and used the Eagle GT for many years but they no longer make them. I will look for this Assurance Tripletred and see if it comes in my size.
Yeah, the Eagle GT is a noisy one once the tread wears down, plus the tread is on the softer side so you can't get the 30,000-40,000 tread life. I looked at www.tirerack.com for you and saw that the Tripletred could be used for your Camaro and that they had the right size if you have the original rims. They wouldn't list it if it was not compatible. It won't be as performance oriented as the Eagle GT but it isn't far behind either, plus you get the benefits we talked about.

Last edited by NC01TA; 07-20-2010 at 07:43 AM.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:28 PM
TECH Addict

Great I will check Tirerack, a guy a work was telling me about his General tires anyone have good results with them?