Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New LS1 FC RX-7 owner, questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 05:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default New LS1 FC RX-7 owner, questions

Well I traded my Subaru STi for this swapped RX-7 the other day and I've been very pleased so far. Although I'm very familiar with the LS engine family, I do have some questions about a couple small things that I need to button up on this car.

Firstly, a lot of the gauges don't work, i.e. coolant, oil pressure, and the speedo. He gave me the stock sensors for the coolant and oil psi gauges and said their were some sort of adapters that you could buy to get these to work. Would anyone know where to locate them?

Also, how do you go about getting the speedo to work?

Thirdly, I'm wanting to put a set of headers on this car, but I really don't feel like spending $800ish on a set, and that's how much they were give or take at the only two places I've seen that offer them, Hinson and Jagsthatrun. Are there any more budget friendly offerings out there? Has anyone tried Mac Mid-lengths?

Thanks for any input that you guys can offer me.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:17 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The speedo most guyy just hook a Dakota Digital to the VSS sensor and to the cluster. The RX7's speedo requires 8000 PPM instead of the 4000 PPM, like most of the other vehicles do. I don't think the old V8RX7 site is around any more, but some of the guys went to norotors.com
Old 07-19-2010, 08:38 PM
11 Second Club

yeah head over to www.norotors.com

those Headers are pretty much the only bolt on option. You could use longtubes from a 302 mustang if you have some real basic fab skills.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks so much for the help fellas, I appreciate it.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The adapters you speak of are available at summit racing, jegs etc etc. Just search the site for the threads required on the block side and then over on an RX7 forum for the other side. I can't remember the thread sizes at the time of writing this. If I find them, I will post them.

Most people go with aftermarket gauges for swaps. It solves alot of the issues with the tach, speedo and other gauges. Costs alot more however....

As sciff5 already said, the headers you've mentined are really your only true bolt on options however, you could purchase a set of fox body mustang long tubes and put LS flanges on them. Not hard, but not simple either if you don't have the fab tools.

I would suggest going to norotors dot com and read up!

Quick Reply: New LS1 FC RX-7 owner, questions