General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

headlight and guage dimming problem, need assistance

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 06:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year
Default headlight and guage dimming problem, need assistance

Whats up all...strange problem. 2000 SS here...when i first start my car the gauges and headlights will dim at a very fast rate (bright, dim, bright, dim) pretty fast...when my car warms up it seems to go away. My car is pulling 14v when its running and it turns over healthy and can run the radio and windows when the car is off. I dont know if this is anything to worry about or maybe my alternator or battery is on the way out? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Also how should i start diagnosing this? Thanks.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:31 PM
TECH Addict

The rectifier portion of your alt is headed south. Time to buy a new one.

Unless you have access to and know how to use an oscilloscope, there really isn't a way to see what's going on other than by your lights flickering. You also won't see in the alt tester at the parts store, because the meters on them can't react fast enough.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by fleetmgr
The rectifier portion of your alt is headed south. Time to buy a new one.

Unless you have access to and know how to use an oscilloscope, there really isn't a way to see what's going on other than by your lights flickering. You also won't see in the alt tester at the parts store, because the meters on them can't react fast enough.
wow way over my head, thanks for the reply....taking your advice and a couple of other peoples advice ive placed an order for an ac delco. Thank you sir.