LS2 Starter/Altenator Wiring??

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 11:21 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS2 Starter/Altenator Wiring??

2006 LS2 GTO
1963 Grand Sport
The only wiring the car has is the engine harness.

I have the engine harness connected(speartech modified) and I cranked the car up last night. There are two post on the starter and there is a post and a connector that hooks to the engine harness for the altenator. I understand that the big post on the starter gets a constant power from the main battery cable and that the smaller post is basically the solenoid switch.

My question is how do I wire in the altenator post? Feel free to draw it out in microsoft paint
Old 07-27-2010, 05:05 PM
Teching In

The Ring terminal on the harness should go to the stud on the back of the alternator. That needs to go back to your positive terminal on your battery, which is your charging wire. The two pin connector on the back should be an exciter wire and your gauge wire I think. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ellis Juan
2006 LS2 GTO
1963 Grand Sport
The only wiring the car has is the engine harness.

I have the engine harness connected(speartech modified) and I cranked the car up last night. There are two post on the starter and there is a post and a connector that hooks to the engine harness for the altenator. I understand that the big post on the starter gets a constant power from the main battery cable and that the smaller post is basically the solenoid switch.

My question is how do I wire in the altenator post? Feel free to draw it out in microsoft paint
off topic but you sold the c3 and bought a c2? which one is your favorite
Old 07-27-2010, 09:19 PM
Launching!

The c3 I recently sold was great. I had it for almost 11 years. This new c2 vette gets my vote though. Lighter. Better chassis.I like the looks much better as well.

Would it work to run the altenator main ring terminal back to the terminal on the starter where the main battery cable hooks up? Wouldn't that serve to charge the battery?
Old 07-28-2010, 06:51 AM
On The Tree

My battery is hidden under the car so I had to add a remote charging post. That gets power from the battery after the power goes through a battery disconnect. All my power then comes off that remote power post.

I ran the starter wire to that and also the alternator charging wire. It also supplies power for the wiring harness for the chassis and engine.

So essentially, yes, running the alternator to the starter would charge the battery but there are more independant ways of wiring it. Neither is wrong, just preference.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:55 AM
Launching!

I may do a remote post as well, which would be useful to pull extra power for fans, ac, etc. I meant to ask as well about my autometer voltage gauge. Could I just tap into the wire from the connector on the altenator? Thanks for the help.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:50 AM
On The Tree

The alt output wire would be about ideal.

Quick Reply: LS2 Starter/Altenator Wiring??