Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator pigtail question

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Alternator pigtail question

All the parts stores around aren't able to get the pigtail for a 99, so I got one for a 98. From what I've found, the 98's exciter wire is different than 99+...something about they have an in-line resistor. The exciter wire is one red wire and the pig tail I have has four wires coming out of it so I just chose a wire on the pigtail to connect it to.

My alternator isn't charging and I'm lost. I have 12 volts coming through the pigtail but I don't know if it matters what wire I have the exciter wire hooked up to or if the pigtail will even work?
ANY help would be awesome. my car's been on jackstands for about 3 months so I need to get this figured out.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by colby72olds
All the parts stores around aren't able to get the pigtail for a 99, so I got one for a 98. From what I've found, the 98's exciter wire is different than 99+...something about they have an in-line resistor. The exciter wire is one red wire and the pig tail I have has four wires coming out of it so I just chose a wire on the pigtail to connect it to.

My alternator isn't charging and I'm lost. I have 12 volts coming through the pigtail but I don't know if it matters what wire I have the exciter wire hooked up to or if the pigtail will even work?
ANY help would be awesome. my car's been on jackstands for about 3 months so I need to get this figured out.
When I broke mine I just took the clip apart and put the wire back inside the clip and used some RTV to hold it in place. never came loose again...
Old 07-29-2010, 01:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well my factory one is long gone or I would try that. For about a year I just had a plain crimp style connecter on it, but I can't recall which alternator pin I had it connected to. I'm having some crazy alternator problems so I'm trying to think of ANYTHING that is causing my car not to charge.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yes it definitely matters. Thanks to google and some old school ls1tech post I figured it out. The exciter wire connects to the alternator on the second pin from the drivers side and I had it connected to the first one.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

oh is that what you were asking? thats easy man, all you gotta do is look in the clip on the alternator and you can easily see what port on the clip you need...
Old 07-31-2010, 07:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Ummm, no you cant. Fbodys used a 1 wire setup, but the alt itself still has all 4 terminals in the case

For future reference Fbodys used pin B (98-02), trucks B and C

Search "Thee alternator FAQ" for more info