General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Cat is rattling and driving me NUTS!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cat is rattling and driving me NUTS!

So my passenger side cat is rattling very badly. It has the "rock in a tin can" sound and it's so loud it's actually embarrassing to drive my car. Thankfully the cat isn't so messed up that it stops flow. It is just incredibly irritating and makes my car sound like an old shitbox.

My money is tight right now so options are limited. If I had the cash for it I'd buy long tubes and a new y-pipe, but as of now my finances don't allow that. The only thing I could afford would be a cheap ORY that fits the stock manifolds, but I don't really feel like spending money on something just to toss it when I eventually get headers.

So I'm thinking that the only thing I can do is gut the cat that's rattling. My question for y'all is if I gut the bad cat on the passenger side, should I also gut the driver side cat for the sake of balance?

And how exactly do you gut a cat with basic tools? I've read that some people cut it open, gut it and weld it shut, but that's beyond what I can do in my garage.

Oh I almost forgot... how am I supposed to get the cat off anyway?! It's so damn rusty it looks like it's not coming off without being cut off. I need to be able to unbolt it, gut it, and bolt it back on... is that even going to be possible?
Old 08-03-2010, 06:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Check it out to see if it is covered under warranty.

They gave 2001 & 2002 an extended warranty on cats.

Take a copy of the paper work in like this guy did, otherwise they'll probably deny you.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...uch-issue.html
Old 08-03-2010, 06:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wouldn't that only cover a cat that's throwing the SES light? The only evidence I have that my cat is bad is the rattle. Otherwise it drives fine and doesn't throw any codes.

I suppose I could take the car in and have the dealer look at it, but honestly I'd rather tolerate the rattle than have the monkeys at the dealer poking around my car. Plus I've got a catback and a cutout, so they'll probably say one of those things are rattling.