Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Aftermarket Fiberglass SS Hood Install Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 01:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Aftermarket Fiberglass SS Hood Install Question

I recently purchased an aftermarket direct fit fiberglass SS hood for my Z. Do you have any suggestions or tips before I test fit the hood. Seems like it should be pretty easy as long as I take my time.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:43 AM
Staging Lane

I would make sure to but a blanket or something similar on the windshield to help protect it in case of the hood slips from your hands and hits it. Other than that, take your time and make sure the gaps are proper and. It shouldn't be too hard.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:24 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well first you have to understand it is not going to be perfect. You will have to adjust it and straighten the panel out with filler. No aftermarket hood fits perfect. You can do it yourself but 3 people os best. There are a lot of tricks to getting it to line up properly. However, you will not know what you need till the test fit.

Be prepared for the worst. I have yet to have a hood come through my shop that didnt need some work.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:52 PM
On The Tree

Hood went on extremely well. The hood struts seem to be under some stress. Take in consideration I have never put on a new hood. So maybe that is something I am doing wrong. The SLP Air Box is definitely touching the hood... It makes the left side close to hinge stick up a 1/4 in. The other side sits flush. It latches down, but because it touches the air box its under extreme stress as well. Could of messed with it some more, but needed to get the old one back on before tomorrow. Is there a trick to cutting fiberglass? I could cut the hood right above the air box. Don't you have put tape where you need to cut?
Old 08-05-2010, 09:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by frack
Hood went on extremely well. The hood struts seem to be under some stress. Take in consideration I have never put on a new hood. So maybe that is something I am doing wrong. The SLP Air Box is definitely touching the hood... It makes the left side close to hinge stick up a 1/4 in. The other side sits flush. It latches down, but because it touches the air box its under extreme stress as well. Could of messed with it some more, but needed to get the old one back on before tomorrow. Is there a trick to cutting fiberglass? I could cut the hood right above the air box. Don't you have put tape where you need to cut?
If you have never worked with fiberglass I would not recommend it. You can cut fiberglass. Depending on the location. Fiberglass does have structural mat in the middle to give it strength. It will also depend on how much material is there. You may beable to shave it without cutting it.

As far as the side of the hood that is higher next to the hinge there is a trick to get the adjustment. The hinge itself has 2 bolts that hold it together, not the 2 for the hood. You can get alittle there and if you need more take a carbid bit and oval the bolt hole slightly. If you want pics let me know.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:27 AM
TECH Junkie

also if in some ares you can adjust where the hood sits when its closed to kinda raise it or lower it if it sets either to lower or to high compared to the fenders