Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help - Car not running well

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 11:43 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need Help - Car not running well

LS1 Team - for the past few years we have making additional modifications to my 2001 Camaro. The car is a full time race car and never sees the street. I had a new motor built this year (402 NA solid roller) and the car was running very consistant 10.40 at 128 MPH. Given the amount of money spent I was unhappy it was not running high nines or very low tens. Unfortunately the car suddenly has developed a "gremlin" and I need your help with the solution.

Recently at Pinks in Topeka we had the car in the parking lot to determine the stall of the new converter. Old converter was a 5700 and we decided to lower the stall to 4600 and hope to pick up some ET. We did the test and it stalled to 4600 and drove back to the pits and waited for test and tune runs. My class was called and we staged the car and I was on the transbrake but it would only rev to 3600 while on the transbrake (we ran the car two passes and shifted at 6600 but were down 8 MPH in the 1/8 and 2 MPH in the 1/4). We thought the converter was coming apart so we loaded up and went home. I ordered a new converter from Neal Chance (great company) and installed it in the car. Unfortunately the car again would only rev to 3600 while on the transbrake. We have taken off the two step (it was not functioning properly) replaced the plug wires and plugs and it still won't rev above 3600 RPM's while on the transbrake. We will replace O2 sensors tonight (we run 112 leaded fuel) to see if that helps.

Also, the engine builder has been fired so this is not an option. Your input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

CoopZ06
Old 08-10-2010, 12:11 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will the car rev above 3600rpm in nuetral???

Also when using the trans brake and you rev to 3600rpm is it bouncing off 3600rpm ,,or does it sound like it's just holding the rpms at 3600?

Also when using the trans brake does the engine rev quickly to 3600rpm and stop or does the engine seem to be struggling to get to 3600rpm?

Also when the trans brake is applied is the car trying to roll?
Old 08-10-2010, 05:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will the car rev above 3600rpm in nuetral???

Answer - Yes

Also when using the trans brake and you rev to 3600rpm is it bouncing off 3600rpm ,,or does it sound like it's just holding the rpms at 3600?

Answer - holds RPM's at 3600

Also when using the trans brake does the engine rev quickly to 3600rpm and stop or does the engine seem to be struggling to get to 3600rpm?

Answer - Revs quickly

Also when the trans brake is applied is the car trying to roll?

Answer - No
Old 08-11-2010, 02:52 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if i'm saying this right,,,,sounds like you have debree that has built up between the trans brake valve and the plumbing that the valve is manupulating.Probly from the stall convertor going bad sending unseen trash threw your transmission.

I had this happen to a Turbo400 with a trans brake ,,from the stall converter going bad.When going down the track I had no problems turning 7500rpm in all three gears it was only having a problem when the trans brake was being used.

My guess is you need to have your transmission flushed.