Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

about to install tr224 cam, what else do i need?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 03:41 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default about to install tr224 cam, what else do i need?

i have the car at shop now ready to do a camshaft install, i bought the tr224 for its reliability and because ill be running the stock stall. some info about my car are

150,000 miles in a 98 ls1
heads are 853 untouched

ive done an oil change every 3k miles and never had oil leaks or any weird noises in the engine...thank god

when the mechanic is ready to do the swap, what other parts should i get for the cylinder heads, i dont have money right now for ls6's

like what valvetrain parts do i need? should i jus buy the valvetrain kits sold on thunder racing or texas speed and call it a day? what about rocker arms

thanks for your opinions/input..i dont want the engine to blow up
Old 08-18-2010, 04:32 AM
Teching In

Mate do ur lifters as tend to fail eventually and Valve Springs are a MUST!
UDP, Timing Chain, Pushrods, Pulleys, Belts are optional
Then there are the heads that would love a shave
Old 08-18-2010, 08:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1

With 150k, lifters would be good insurance. The exception being if you plan to get heads later, as they need to come off to get your lifters out anyway.

Oil Pump should be replaced while you are in there as well. Stock pushrods will be the wrong length, and you'll need to upgrade springs to complement the cam. Timing chain is the only other item that you should consider a "must".

The rest depends on what your mechanic finds as it comes apart, as well as your budget to replace parts that easier to do now, like the crank pulley.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:17 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used stock length pushrods when I had my TR224. You should upgrade the pushrods to hardened ones though. Definitely need better valve springs. With those miles, you should do a new oil pump and timing set while you're in there. You'll also want a cam swap kit with pulley bolt, front seal, and gaskets. If you plan on doing heads later, I'd wait until then to do the lifters. Of course, you'll need to swap the springs onto the new heads too. It might be better to save up and do it all at once. Of course, if you do the heads, you'll also need head gaskets and head bolts. It's like a giant snowball rolling down hill. It keeps getting bigger and more expensive.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:47 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if some stock LS6 heads are not in your budget some 241's run about 100 bux for the pair..just a thought since 853's are horrid, and youll be in their anyways...
Old 08-18-2010, 11:56 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by desertLS1
if some stock LS6 heads are not in your budget some 241's run about 100 bux for the pair..just a thought since 853's are horrid, and youll be in their anyways...
Going to 241's from 853's will gain you next to nothing. Not even close to being worth the money.

OP, some good things to change have already been mentioned in this thread. The essentials are oil pump, timing chain, and of course new pushrods and springs to accomadate the cam.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:27 PM
Launching!

I got some LS6 heads from thunder racing with stock valves (not Z06) for like $400 shipped a few years ago. They are not listed like that on their web site, just call em up.

Quick Reply: about to install tr224 cam, what else do i need?