Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Changing a Clutch For the First Time

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Changing a Clutch For the First Time

I ordered a premium Monster level 3 clutch today and I'm hoping that I could do the swap myself. I know the transmission needs to be dropped as well as the drive shaft and shifter. Is it that complicated of a job or just time consuming?
Old 08-20-2010, 02:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you've never pulled out a transmission and replaced a clutch before, it might take you some time. You'll need to get the car up on jackstands high enough to where you have enough room to work on it. A short trans jack comes in handy but I've done it using a regular floor jack with ratchet straps.

Ideally, if you have access to a lift to do it on its a piece of cake.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ideally a lift is best. But i think the job is more time consuming than anything. I dropped my trans out in like 45 minutes lying on my back with the car up as high as it could go on jack stands. So its not at all difficult you just gotta pay a little attention to how it all comes apart and such. But its not hard. Just take your time
Old 08-21-2010, 12:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

two good floor jacks makes a world of difference. The first time I took it out I had one small floor jack. That sucked, Second time I took it out and put it in two big floor jacks. Wow so easy, trans went in with 1/10 as much effort and seriously 1/5 the time.