Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rocker arm questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 07:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rocker arm questions

I'm currently helping a friend out with an LS1 swap into a 90 Nissan 300z car. He bought some patriot heads (which I'm sure are garbage) and I noticed that the heads looked to be machined for pedestal mounts just like the stockers. Being a SBF guy and everything I deal with has stud rollers rockers, I'm pretty amazed that a lot of you LS1 guys seem to be running pedestal mount rockers, especially with the RPM's you guys turn.

My question is what do you guys run for rockers usually? And if you re-use the pedestal mounts, what do you do to set the pre-load, shim kit?.. or is there a style of rocker with an adjustable pushrod cup that you use? I'm just looking for some direction because LS1 engines are an entirely new animal to me.

BTW I've searched, and looked in the stickys and haven't found an answer to my question.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Preload is set via pushrod length. Adjustalbe rockers are available for solid cam setups.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A lot seem to favor using the stock rockers with the trunion upgrade as the stock rockers seem to have the best reliability. One of the reasons for the trunion upgrade is sometimes the needle rollers fall out of the stock rockers but the rocker body itself is fairly strong. I went with some yella terra shaft mount rockers for the TFS heads I just installed. Its what they recommend but you can get a shim kit & use the stockers. Preload is set by pushrod length. Stock pushrod length is 7.400. Trickflow recommends 7.5 inch pushrods for their heads but I had to go with 7.550 rods.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by fogged306
I'm currently helping a friend out with an LS1 swap into a 90 Nissan 300z car. He bought some patriot heads (which I'm sure are garbage) and I noticed that the heads looked to be machined for pedestal mounts just like the stockers. Being a SBF guy and everything I deal with has stud rollers rockers, I'm pretty amazed that a lot of you LS1 guys seem to be running pedestal mount rockers, especially with the RPM's you guys turn.

My question is what do you guys run for rockers usually? And if you re-use the pedestal mounts, what do you do to set the pre-load, shim kit?.. or is there a style of rocker with an adjustable pushrod cup that you use? I'm just looking for some direction because LS1 engines are an entirely new animal to me.

BTW I've searched, and looked in the stickys and haven't found an answer to my question.
Not sure what you mean by pedestal mount. The stockers are more of a shaft mount setup and are much more stable then a stud mounted setup. The rocker geometry is set by the rocker height, so either shims to raise the rocker support or in some cases a new rocker support must be used that can be machined shorter to set the rocker height properly for good geometry. Once that is done, then measurements are made to determine pushrod length. There are a variety of aftermarket rockers. I personally prefer the Yella Terra setup. Again, shims are used to set the geometry and then the pushrod measurement is made.
Old 10-09-2010, 04:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Why would you think Patriot heads are garbage?

Quick Reply: Rocker arm questions