Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering cam for CA emissions, no tuning here, can I drive it to a tuner?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 10:55 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Lowering cam for CA emissions, no tuning here, can I drive it to a tuner?

I currently have a 230/235 114 cam and am moving to a 219/230 117 (CheaTR cam).

There is genuinely nothing in Utah, including - DYNO MACHINES!!!

Would it be okay to drive to a reputable tuner in California - about 700 miles?
Would it be better to get a "mail-in tune" instead?

I am somewhat of the mind that a "mail tune" would probably be no closer than what is already in the PCM.

Thanks!
Old 08-26-2010, 10:21 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We have done many mail in tunes and have been able to get most of them pretty close to where they need to be. Definately good enough to drive it to a tuner. I would think you could drive it to the tuner untuned for that cam, especially since your car is already tuned for an aftermarket cam. I know the same tune can't be used for a different cam, but I would bet it would be easier to drive then when you went from stock to the big cam.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

California seems like a long way to go but if you have to do it... I got mine tuned at Cunningham Motor Sports in Murietta, CA. They did a good job and they have a good rep on LS1 tech. By the way, as you can see I have the CheaTR v.3 in my CTS-V. Haven't SMOG'ed it yet but I'm sure it will be fine. Will find out next year.

Last edited by wingsfan4ever; 08-26-2010 at 01:46 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Try posting here in the Regional Forums, there's no reason you should have to drive to California to you engine tuned. I'm sure someone will point you in the right direction to a shop a lot closer to you.
Good luck.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/northwest-members-66/
https://ls1tech.com/forums/western-members-59/
Old 08-26-2010, 02:29 PM
9 Second Club

It sounds like I will be okay. Just out of curiosity, I have an old MAFT and I still use a timing tuner to pull timing on juice. Would you recommend tweaking that as best as I can before I go (cunningham here too, I mean ****, I sent an email at 12:30 last night, and he responded at 12:38 - I was already sold, but that solidified the decision). Add timing, or pull it? Add fuel, or pull it? Just a little tweak, but should I give that a shot?

Thanks guys!
Old 08-26-2010, 02:32 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
Try posting here in the Regional Forums, there's no reason you should have to drive to California to you engine tuned. I'm sure someone will point you in the right direction to a shop a lot closer to you.
Good luck.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/northwest-members-66/
https://ls1tech.com/forums/western-members-59/
As close as I can get is Las Vegas and they have some beautiful equipment - I'm talking wind tunnel get the hell out of the room type stuff. But I'd rather drive the extra few hours to Cunningham. His shop is about an hour away from where I'll be moving and on the way. I'd rather go that way should anything come up in the future. Thanks for the heads up though
Old 08-26-2010, 06:34 PM
TECH Addict

I didnt drive 700 miles, but i did drive my car around with the wrong tune. i drove it normally, no WOT blasts or anything crazy. I went from a 234/230 w/long tubes/ORY, to a TSP 224R, stock manifolds/Cats, with a couple other bolt ons.