Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Charging issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 01:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charging issue

My buddy has an '02 WS6 A4 that doesn't seem to be charging the battery. He has replaced the BCM, batteries, alternators, wiring, and the starter. The battery seems to be hovering the 11-12 volt area. It returns to 13V when the car is put into neutral. When the blinker is on, the battery meter moves with the blinker. Any thoughts on what the issue could be? Thanks.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:15 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

First thing you need to do is check alternator voltage while the engine is running around 2000 rpms. It should hold steady @ 14.4-14.6 volts. Do not use the gauge, either use a volt meter or go up to Autozone and they'll check it for free. It's very possible and probable to get bad alternators straight off the shelf, happens all the time.

Does the car have a pulley? If so, is it running @ stock idle speed or slightly lower? I've seen A4's with an idle issue idle too low to spin the alternator fast enough with an under drive pulley. Confirm that the car is idling around 500-600rpms.

I'd start there first.