LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Quick ? about dex cool

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 09:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick ? about dex cool

I'm new on here, i actually jsut got my GXP about 2 weeks ago. I am a life long pontiac owner and my last car was a bonneville and there were some pretty erious issues with the dex cool ruining the lower intake gasket. I was wondering if anyone know's if these engines face the same issues. I will prob flush the dex out anyway but I want to be sure.

thanks
Old 08-30-2010, 10:00 PM
Staging Lane

Im not directly aware of any myself, maybe some of the other folks here might know a tale or two.

But with the carnage I saw with the 3800 line I opted to flush mine. I just dont trust it.

Cheers
Old 08-30-2010, 10:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

We don't have an intake gasket, just O rings around the runners - no coolant flows through the intake manifold.

Just don't mix in any of the green stuff, causes Dexcool to coagulate, which will pretty much clog the heater core. Ask me how I know.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TiredGXP
We don't have an intake gasket, just O rings around the runners - no coolant flows through the intake manifold.

Just don't mix in any of the green stuff, causes Dexcool to coagulate, which will pretty much clog the heater core. Ask me how I know.
Great advice thanks. I never considered that. Glad i did a 100% flush and avoided the "experince". We all get bit that way from time to time.

Dex Cool was so bad on the 3800 line it not only ate thru the intake gasket, but it also cleaned out headgaskets now and again. You could take a Kr senor out of the block and have to poke through the dex cool hardened crudd to drain the cooling jackets. Reall nice stuff.

Cheers
Old 08-31-2010, 05:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had Dex Cool in all 5 LS-powered cars that I've owned and I've never had an issue.

The overflow tank in the Impala looks kinda nasty, but when I flushed the motor, it wasn't bad at all.