Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible blown head gasket ???

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 08:54 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Possible blown head gasket ???

I've blown several set of Buick V6 head gaskets (LC2 motors) but never had an LS motor lose one. I think I might be losing one. I'm not sure.

When the motor gets warmed up thoroughly, it starts sounding like a significant exhaust leak but doesn't seem to be affected like a serious miss or something like that. The oil has no water in it.

It's a stock 5.3 truck motor with a 220º cam, mid length headers and 1:1 driven magnacharger. Other than that, it's stock. Heads have never been off. There is nothing sticking out between the head and block nor buckled gasket between the head and block. There also doesn't seem to be any excessive blow by. If I don't shut if off and let it idle, I can't even hear it anymore. It's really only doing it during cruising type of driving. It still runs hard if I nail it.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Can it be "kinda" blown right now?
Old 09-06-2010, 04:50 PM
12 Second Club

you have any coolant leaks? coolant in your oil? oil in your coolant? that is usually a sign of a blown head gasket.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:38 AM
On The Tree

No, that's the strange part. I'm leaning towards some weird exhaust leak.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rent a cooling system pressure tester at AutoZone, full refund when you return it so zero cost.

Connect it to your rad cap hole, pump to 16psi, and see if it holds that pressure for at least 30 mins. A failed head gasket will leak it down in a matter of seconds.

Easy way to rule out most head gasket problems.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:27 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by crainholio
Rent a cooling system pressure tester at AutoZone, full refund when you return it so zero cost.

Connect it to your rad cap hole, pump to 16psi, and see if it holds that pressure for at least 30 mins. A failed head gasket will leak it down in a matter of seconds.

Easy way to rule out most head gasket problems.
This.

Instead of guessing, run through some diagnostic steps. Pressure checking the system will rule out (or in) a head gasket failure.