LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Trans Gurus please help.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 01:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans Gurus please help.

First off, Hi everyone. Im new here and have not posted much as Im still new to the ls4.
Heres whats going on, About 2 months ago I picked up an 06 SS Monte. The car is great and I love it, but from time to time it does some strange things. Sometimes when im slowing down for a red light it seems fine but if the light goes green before I come to a complete stop and I accelerate it seems like the car is stuck in 1st and will rev up to 3000- 4000 rpm. I have to let off the gas and wait for the rpm's to drop down to around 1300-1500 before I can accelerate again, and then everything seems fine. This will happen once or twice a week. Then this morning I was at a light waiting to make a left turn. I was at a complete stop and went to go and it just didnt seem like it wanted to go. Very sluggish off the line. I dont know very much about transmissions, but im not exactly clueless. The car has 40,000mi on it and the fluid level is good, and clean. Anyone else have this issue or know what it might be? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks Everyone!
Old 09-09-2010, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

does the fluid smell burnt or anything? From what you have said i would say the trans is about to die on you. i had the same problems with mine right before it just stopped moving period.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 199 Likes on 99 Posts

If you want a spare transmission, I have one from an 07 Impala with 18K miles and asking $500 for it (see my thread in the classified section for pics). I will be leaving for the Chicago area in the morning and will be there till tuesday. If interested, I can put it in the back of the truck and bring it with me.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:12 PM
TECH Resident

That's exactly what mine does and it's starting to do it more frequently. Still under warranty so, I'll just wait for it to completely give up.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

make sure you have a tow truck on speed dail
Old 09-10-2010, 01:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dante06
First off, Hi everyone. Im new here and have not posted much as Im still new to the ls4.
Heres whats going on, About 2 months ago I picked up an 06 SS Monte. The car is great and I love it, but from time to time it does some strange things. Sometimes when im slowing down for a red light it seems fine but if the light goes green before I come to a complete stop and I accelerate it seems like the car is stuck in 1st and will rev up to 3000- 4000 rpm. I have to let off the gas and wait for the rpm's to drop down to around 1300-1500 before I can accelerate again, and then everything seems fine. This will happen once or twice a week. Then this morning I was at a light waiting to make a left turn. I was at a complete stop and went to go and it just didnt seem like it wanted to go. Very sluggish off the line. I dont know very much about transmissions, but im not exactly clueless. The car has 40,000mi on it and the fluid level is good, and clean. Anyone else have this issue or know what it might be? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks Everyone!
You still have a warranty?

Originally Posted by fieroguru
If you want a spare transmission, I have one from an 07 Impala with 18K miles and asking $500 for it (see my thread in the classified section for pics). I will be leaving for the Chicago area in the morning and will be there till tuesday. If interested, I can put it in the back of the truck and bring it with me.
06 and 07 do interchange, so this would be a good purchase to make if you know your tranny is on the way out!