Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

head/cam/drivability/fun factor all worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 11:29 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default head/cam/drivability/fun factor all worth it?

Its like ten questions in one here. So far I love my ss, but I know down the road I'll want to do more to it.
My question really is. I already have a fast car(93 turbo'd sentra lol i know) it should trap around 118-120mph.
How fun is the n/a head and cammed ls1? Hows the driveability on it? Was it worth it to the guys that have done it?
Also the guys that love it whats your set up and whp and trap times?
Old 09-13-2010, 10:13 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Heads and cam setups can definately add some hp to the car. Deciding which package to go with should depend a lot on what you want to do with the car. If you are looking for a real driveable set up make sure you go with a small cam and a small runner head so you maintain low end power and torque. Get a good tune and driveability shouldn't be a problem at all. Let us know more of what you are looking for and we can get you a setup that should fit your needs.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

I did a cam and I love it. Driveability is all in the tune and setup. Mine drives pretty good. Going 5 mph is pretty complicated as it starts to buck. Other than that, it drives like stock but pulls like a freight train. I also have an electric cutout, when its closed you can bearly tell there is a cam in it.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

heads/cam will for sure add some HP. I can't explain in words how much more fun my car is to drive now but it's money well spent. I get compliments all the time with how it sounds. I have a real good tune on mine and hardly have any bucking at all. only going like real slow or lugging it to much. It basically "DRIVES" like stock until you punch it. I still get 25+ mpg on highway so I'd say its worth it
Old 09-13-2010, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

I get 22 mpg with mine. I also get compliments all the time. Just be prepared to pay some money for the mods. I spent $1100 on the clutch and hydraulics to handle the power, with me installing it. I also did all polyurethane mounts and the rest of the parts in my sig, its adds up quick, fun to drive.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:48 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by duesmandella
Its like ten questions in one here. So far I love my ss, but I know down the road I'll want to do more to it.
My question really is. I already have a fast car(93 turbo'd sentra lol i know) it should trap around 118-120mph.
How fun is the n/a head and cammed ls1? Hows the driveability on it? Was it worth it to the guys that have done it?
Mine is a cam ONLY car but I think I can still input.

How fun is the n/a head and cammed ls1?

It is VERY fun. After getting used to v8 LS1 power. You soon discover that more is better. After having a 383, and not being able to drive it for 1 year, I got to drove a Stock LS1 and was floored at the power but then got used to it again quickly and wanted some more top end pull.

Hows the driveability on it?

Varies greatly based on MULTIPLE factors. Most of which is Tune, Cam Profile, Compression Ratio. Some cams when they get above 230/236 tend to be a bit cranky. Most of which can be solved with 1-2 trips to the dyno. BUT most of the "driveability" will require datalogging and getting the info to your guy and having him adjust things.

Also "Driveability" and "Enjoyability" is subjective to the driver. Some can put up with more, then others. Also make sure to get gears and stall (if auto car) thats matched to the cam ideally.

Was it worth it to the guys that have done it?

To me it was. IMO having a good under curve cam like the Vengence VRx4 cam (228/230) has Phenominal under curve power that allows for enjoyment in all gears.

This car is a Heavy 2002 T/A, Has a 6 speed and 12 bolt + 3" Steel DS. It has made 385 RWHP and 364 RWTQ. About 15-20 hp off from what I have seen But some of that is the drivetrain. The car trapped best 2 years ago 113, but again, not a optimal DA, and race weight is heavy. Some Lighter Camaros with stock 10 bolt drive trains, in great air and a 150 pound driver I have seen do 117-119 on a good Day. (cam only ref).

Quick Reply: head/cam/drivability/fun factor all worth it?