Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for 6.0 swap in a 86 Chevy Pickup !!Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 02:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for 6.0 swap in a 86 Chevy Pickup !!Help!!

I'm getting ready to swap a 2004 6.0 into a 86 fullsize prostreet pickup. The 6.0 is complete pull out and has 61,000 miles and is in super condition. The pickup has been tubed, four link, 9 inch ford, 3:70 gears, rear disc brakes, 350th, 3500 stall, 31x16.5 rear tires. My questions are as follows: I want a really strong setup but still streetable so what cam should I go with? Should I keep the factory heads as is, modify them or replace with l92, ls3 or what? What springs should run? Should I keep the factory fuel injection or go with carb/intake? If carb then what size? I have a good custom built 780 cfm vaccum secondary holley. If keeping fuel injection then what mods do I need to make to support the new power range. I would like to keep a/c and power steering so will this fit within the frame rails with no mods? I know this is a boat load of questions but I want to get everything figured out before hand.

Thanks any info you can give.

Last edited by dealrcn; 09-12-2010 at 07:45 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow.... A lot of questions.... First and foremost I'm looking forward to seeing this swap already. I'm planning an LSx/6L80E swap into my K5 Blazer. Look up info for the swap on 67-72chevytrucks.com there's quite a few members that have done the swap and retained AC. There are some relocation brackets for the AC compressor that some people have used, I'm not exactly sure if you can use it in the stock location or not.

As far as the Cam, I'm not sure what size would be good for it, but it all depends on your goals.

IMO I would go fuel injected, better gas mileage, reliability, etc, etc...

As far as the upgrades for the fuel system you will need to upgrade the Fuel pump since your truck is Carb'd already and you will have to modify or replace the fuel lines, I think that's about it. I could be wrong but maybe someone else will chime in on this one.

You'll definitely be able to retain the Power Steering as well.
Old 12-24-2010, 07:58 PM
On The Tree

any more help/suggestions?
Old 12-24-2010, 10:35 PM
Teching In

corvette pressure regulator because it has a return in it. the 6.0 is a returnless system.
Old 12-24-2010, 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

for the cam/springs/intake/power stuff, id hitup a sponsor (like ed@flowtech). that way you can tell them exactly what you have/want, and they can supply what you need, as well as answer questions regarding drivability, whether or not you'll need to modify your heads, and what your options are intake wise. You didnt state a power goal, but a 750cfm carb can handle a lot of power, as a lot of factory intakes, but thats all subjective. You should be able to retain all accessories, but the work may vary.

Throw some pics up!

Quick Reply: Question for 6.0 swap in a 86 Chevy Pickup !!Help!!