LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Questions questions.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 10:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Questions questions.

Ok I have a few questions because im planning out my next upgrades.
1st. Id like to install new gears to wake it up a bit. How hard and what all do i have to do to install them? Also will they hold up well?
2nd. How do i correct the speedometer after the gearing? Send the computer in? (Which i planned on doing)
3rd. Do throttle body air-foils really make a difference? (small question i know)
4th. TR55's are the only plugs ive seen on here, is that what I should use? (Needs a plug change).
Old 09-12-2010, 10:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1) Dont try it yourself if you dont know what you're doing.

2) Yes, or do it yourself..

3) Maybe 1-2 HP.

4) TR55's are a great stock replacement plug.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gregrob
1) Dont try it yourself if you dont know what you're doing.

2) Yes, or do it yourself..

3) Maybe 1-2 HP.

4) TR55's are a great stock replacement plug.
Well Ive worked with axles before, and the carriers and stuff. But never fully dissasembled one. But i know i could if i wanted to
Old 09-12-2010, 10:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok...
Old 09-13-2010, 12:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1). for a couple hundred dollars, just have it done professionally. People have seem to have had the best luck with GM gears in stock ten-bolts (they seem to run the quietest, in mosr cases). 3.73's for an A4, 4.10's for an M6 is the norm for street cars.

2). Any mail-order tune company can do this, for about $125-175 you could have a full performance tune (including speedo change) that would wake up even a bolt-on car by 5-15hp take or give. It seems Madz28/Ion/Madtuner have the best rep around, but many use pcmforless too.

3). Airfoils are for the most part a gimmick, and most aftermarkwet throttlebodies have them built in, so if you're planning on building your motor up at all, you can probably leave what little hp (if any) the stock throttle body/lack of an airfoil leaves out and just wait untill you need an upgraded unit.

4). People really seem to like the TR55 plugs, it seems to be a good choice.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
1). for a couple hundred dollars, just have it done professionally. People have seem to have had the best luck with GM gears in stock ten-bolts (they seem to run the quietest, in mosr cases). 3.73's for an A4, 4.10's for an M6 is the norm for street cars.

2). Any mail-order tune company can do this, for about $125-175 you could have a full performance tune (including speedo change) that would wake up even a bolt-on car by 5-15hp take or give. It seems Madz28/Ion/Madtuner have the best rep around, but many use pcmforless too.

3). Airfoils are for the most part a gimmick, and most aftermarkwet throttlebodies have them built in, so if you're planning on building your motor up at all, you can probably leave what little hp (if any) the stock throttle body/lack of an airfoil leaves out and just wait untill you need an upgraded unit.

4). People really seem to like the TR55 plugs, it seems to be a good choice.
Yeah i wanted to get the Solomon tune done on it. Seems to have an awesome rep, and his prices are great. As far as the gears i was gonna go 4:10's being its an M6. I just dont wanna blow the 10 bolt to pieces

Quick Reply: Questions questions.