Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust help

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 01:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust help

I own a 99 Camaro SS. The Cam currently has cat-back hooker exhaust, but I'm looking into putting all new exhaust on it pretty soon. I plan on ditching the Hooker and maybe go to Magnaflow cat-back. What do you guys have on your cars for headers & y-pipe or what would you recommend? I want it louder but not raspy. I want a clean yet loud grumble to the exhaust note. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you!
Old 09-14-2010, 01:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pacesetter longtubes, 3 inch true duals with an x-pipe and glasspacks. No cats. Car has very little rasp and sounds great.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck man. Lots have tried for the sound your hunting for only to encounter rasp. I have seen people have sucess with something like a Borla with a bullet muffler in the i-pipe before it goes over the axle to help eliminate some of the rasp.

Flow wise on a standard catback you'll be hardpressed to find a muffler that will flow on par with the Hooker.

If you havent installed a ORY & LT's then you havent heard the full potiential of the Hooker either. It definetly wakes up with LT's/ORY added to it.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:34 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Magnaflow is a great way to go as far as catback goes. Pretty tame at idle and normal driving but when you step on it, it really opens up. In order to avoid rasp you will either need to keep cats or go with an x-pipe. I personally think Magnaflow with a catted 3"y-pipe is one of the cleaner sounds around for these cars.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tazer21690
I own a 99 Camaro SS. The Cam currently has cat-back hooker exhaust, but I'm looking into putting all new exhaust on it pretty soon. I plan on ditching the Hooker and maybe go to Magnaflow cat-back. What do you guys have on your cars for headers & y-pipe or what would you recommend? I want it louder but not raspy. I want a clean yet loud grumble to the exhaust note. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you!
I added long tubes with a TSP catted Y to my hooker exhaust and it got very loud. Sounds very different than before. Its really deep and has no rasp. Sounds alot louder than my buddys magnaflow/LT combo. I couldnt believe how much the car woke up.