LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

how high should coolant level be in radiator?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 09:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default how high should coolant level be in radiator?

i recently did a new waterpump in my 96 firebird formula lt1. and checked the coolant level how high should it be when i open it when it is cold? should it be at the brim? or lower? is it normal for it to have to look down into it to see the coolant level in the radiator after its been filled to the brim? i drove it around an hour after i filled it too

a picture of another lt1 f-body radiator fluid level when cold would be appreciated to get an idea of a normal amount of anti-freeze that should be in the radiator.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It should be full to the top. If you drove it after doing a water pump and coolant level was lower after that means you still had air in the system. It worked it's way out when you were driving. Fill it up the rest of the way and forget it.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Should be full and when it cools it should draw from the expansion tank and feed back when it gets hot.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:52 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

x2....u need to use the 2 bleeders to get all the air out. I fill mine up, put cap on, crank motor for 30 seconds or so, kill motor, take cap off, if it's not full fill it up and repeat. If it is full, unscrew the bleeder until nothing but liquid is coming out. If you open the bleeder and you're tank level goes down, then you know there was air in the system. Basically, just keep filling and bleeding until there's no air coming out the bleeders and you're level stays the same after running the motor for a few minutes.

Don't try this when it's hot either. That's never fun. Check it the next couple of days just to be sure you're not loosing any coolant.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#radflush

Quick Reply: how high should coolant level be in radiator?