Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

invisible power steering leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 01:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default invisible power steering leak

I have just replaced the p/s pump, reservoir, pulley and all hoses and fittings. It wasn't leaking then, but now it is. It appears to be coming from the rack about where the steering shaft goes in. I searched but never really found anything close. It doesnt really drip, it all catches in the K member, if i jack the front up itll pour out. Theres a hole in the back going up the steering shaft boss that doesnt have anything in it. I'm not sure if theres supposed to be something in there, i tried all kinds of spare bolts. nothing above the rack is wet. the alternator is bone dry even. Any suggestions? and thanks yall
Old 09-20-2010, 01:42 AM
Launching!

If the leak is coming from where the steering shaft goes into the rack you are probably gonna have to replace your rack. This happened to mine it began leaking from there and then afterwards it leaked from one of the tie rods. I rode it out for as long as I could till I had no choice but to swap it out.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:15 PM
Staging Lane

I am working on swapping a new rear in right now, the steering had still been leaking, and couldn't find where. A day after I blew the rear end up, I noticed a huge puddle under the car. All the p/s fluid was gone from the reservoir. I'm focusing on the rear end right now, but before i get it off the jackstands I will definitely be checking the upper side of the rack. I might have to fill it up and then run it to find out where it's leaking. Although late on my part, thanks for your response.