Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gmmg exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 01:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gmmg exhaust

ok i am about to buy a 02 ss that i am going to have to redo the exhaust on inorder to pass my NC inspection. here it the current setup-LPP Stainless steel long tubes, into x pipe into sweet thunder TD dumps. now from what i gather it does npot have cats and i have to have them to pass. so i figure scrap the whole system and start over. my plan is it run either a kook's or arh full header and catted y(which ever of the two i can get for the better price). now as far the cat back goes i am lovin the sound of the gmmg. but from teh info i have been reading this setup is a bit heavy. so i am woundering if there is a way to get that same sound by either another set up or by making a custom cat back. anyone?
Old 10-03-2010, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have the GMMG exhaust, and I don't think it is that much heavier than the previous exhaust that was on the car. The sound more than makes up for the maybe extra 5 lbs that it weighs.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:56 AM
Teching In

well see that is where i am stuck. does the performance and sound make up for the weight or is there a cheaper and better way to make the same power and sound people are getting from gmmg? i have already set my eyes to a set of arh 1 7/8 headers and catted y. but still working the catback.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont think the weight difference between catbacks is really gonna make a noticeable difference. if you like the sound i say go for the gmmg
Old 10-05-2010, 01:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

that was what I was trying to say. If you're really worried about it, you could lose 5 lbs, and have a great sounding exhaust with no extra weight gained to the car
Old 10-05-2010, 02:59 PM
TECH Regular

If anything, that weight will go to the rear of the car and help keep your tires planted when you launch
Old 10-07-2010, 07:44 AM
Teching In

yeah true the weight will be put to the rear but at teh same time i am trying to make sure i do it right the first time. i plan to make it a daily driver but want to hit the tracks here to both drag and x. so i plan to cut as much weight as possible in all ways i can and pass inspections. it anyone has #'s to show the weight verse's another basic setup it would help here. as i stated from what i read it is heavy. i have on hands on data or anything to show facts.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

GMMG for the win.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Why would you ditch your current headers just to get new ones with a catted Y pipe? You can just get the Catted pipe for your current headers and save yourself the trouble and money...
Unless yours are rusting out or something.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

bro, the weight difference between the catbacks is so minuscule when you look at the big picture. Just TRUST ME, get the GMMG, and don't look back, except to see people's faces as you passed them.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:39 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by skopers3
Why would you ditch your current headers just to get new ones with a catted Y pipe? You can just get the Catted pipe for your current headers and save yourself the trouble and money...
Unless yours are rusting out or something.
u r right i could do that but since i have to replace the other two components i figure go ahead and replace the headers also and step up to 1 7/8. this way i will not have to change it later once i get to that point in power. i hate to buy and replace things a number of times buy cutting myself short the first time. i am more a "do it once and do it right" kind of person.

Last edited by skull_rx3; 10-08-2010 at 07:45 AM.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:53 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Unertl42
bro, the weight difference between the catbacks is so minuscule when you look at the big picture. Just TRUST ME, get the GMMG, and don't look back, except to see people's faces as you passed them.
well i am seeing the bigger picture here thanks to info from everyone here and on other sites. i am going to get the gmmg. and i had planned to to get others attention with the sound, hence part the reason i was thinking of this system. i had thought about corsa but ever clip i found the gmmg just had a meaner sound to it. so thanks guys for ur input on this but i do have one more thing to ask. is gmmg the only companty selling their exhaust? if so no biggy, just never hurts to bargain shop.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Vengeance is selling it, check the group purchase, or give them a call. You can also find them in the Parts Classifieds here
Old 10-08-2010, 09:31 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Unertl42
Vengeance is selling it, check the group purchase, or give them a call. You can also find them in the Parts Classifieds here
already ahead of u in the classifieds. found a few but told owns if not sold buy a certain time let me know. i still have to get this car first IF it is as good as the guy and pics make to seem.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You guys are such GMMG nutswingers, lol

What does a GMMG muffler look like on the inside? It's a chamber muffler right? So I would assume it's just like a Sweet Thunder muffler, and would probably sound pretty similar to someone using sweet thunders.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

By the way, I was just looking at the NC emissions page, and it looks like all you need to do for 1996 and up is have your OBDII checked, which means as long as the cat codes were tuned out, you can do whatever the hell you want to. Are you sure you need cats?

Also, you could just add a pair of cats to your current x-pipe rather than buy a whole new system.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by X-ray
You guys are such GMMG nutswingers, lol

What does a GMMG muffler look like on the inside? It's a chamber muffler right? So I would assume it's just like a Sweet Thunder muffler, and would probably sound pretty similar to someone using sweet thunders.

HAHA, I always joke around with my buddies when they ask about my exhaust. I told them that for $650, which is a steal for these, I'll go buy some stainless pipes and beat them with a sledge.

But I'm not really sure what it looks like inside, I can't bring myself to cut mine open to take a look. and when I tell my wife that I cut apart my $700 exhaust, I'm pretty sure she'd kill me in my sleep and sell the car
Old 10-08-2010, 11:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They are similar in design to sweet thunders, but not the same. All the chambered mufflers are different. But op look elsewhere for weight savings, if you are that concerned run bullets off the collector
Old 10-10-2010, 06:37 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by X-ray
By the way, I was just looking at the NC emissions page, and it looks like all you need to do for 1996 and up is have your OBDII checked, which means as long as the cat codes were tuned out, you can do whatever the hell you want to. Are you sure you need cats?

Also, you could just add a pair of cats to your current x-pipe rather than buy a whole new system.
yeah i am sure as to the needs to pass inspection. i have lived in nc for 6 years now. unless ur car or truck is older then 20 years then it has to retain all factory installed emission controls. now with that said most places have no freakin clue about the egr and air systems unless u say something or the damn sticker is still there. but as soon as they plug in ur car(96+) they raise it in the air and look at everything on the bottom of the car to include having real cats. some shops by me have been known to tap the pipes, cats, ect. to insurance that there have real cats and not false pipes installed to look like cats. if my regular guy was still alive then i could run anything and have no issue till some cop stops me for being to loud. he died last year so i have been having to obey the rules till i find another person like him.