LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

URGENT: Help needed with fuel leak!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year
Default URGENT: Help needed with fuel leak!

I was just going out for a drive and I noticed some seepage on the driveway under the left rear wheel and it's fuel. The line going to the filter is cut and pissing away. I can't see it but it's dry upstream toward the tank and the inlet to the filter is dry. Looks like it's been leaking drip-drip-drip for a couple hours. I can feel the leak- it feels very sharp and thin like a low-angle cut. I don't think I have enemies, but how in the hell does this happen on its own?

SO... I can't do much with it where it sits but I can tow it to a garage of a friend about 1/2 mi. away. How long will it leak? Can someone please confirm what I'm seeing is backflow from the engine/ fuel rails? I just want to know if it will stop pretty soon and I can safely deal with it after it quits!

Thanks,

Rob
Old 10-05-2010, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

Pic of where it is, hopefully will help answer how long it will drip- it's behind the bracket, and is wicking onto the other lines by dripping down onto the bracket from the rear. So, it's still draining from the tank. I disconnected the batt and relieved the fuel cap pressure, but that's all I've been able to do so far.
Attached Thumbnails URGENT: Help needed with fuel leak!-p0510100000.jpg  
Old 10-05-2010, 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

Temp. patched it with split rubber hose clamped close on both sides of the leak (pressure to the face of the leak). Now the million dollar question- can I patch this permanently with a fuel hose coupler or should I replace the whole line from the tank?
Old 10-05-2010, 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DO NOT try to patch it, it'll just leak again. Do it right and replace the whole line.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by RedHotG8
DO NOT try to patch it, it'll just leak again. Do it right and replace the whole line.
Absolutely, just trying to keep anyone walking by smoking from bursting into flames from the puddle of fuel.

Dorman/Help products at Autozone are not long enough to go from tank to filter so I'll be visiting the stealership and see if I can order one. Sectioning it and using a coupler might not work very well, I agree, with 15 year old plastic line.

Now I'm just pissed I missed my therapy (driving) session.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

try to find it on gmpartsdirect.com as you will probably save some coin over the stealership.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

I ended up using this:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...artNumber=true

Dealership wanted $153.00 for it. It comes as a 2 line kit with the return line. 18" was plenty to put the coupler where I wanted it. Hardest part was holding the tank end in a cup of hot water to soften it for the coupler. I'm embarrassed that I squealed in panic when I saw fuel. Apologies for the thread!

Here's pics of the patch I did yesterday (did not drive, just wanted to keep about a gallon of fuel from spilling on the ground), and a pic of the cut. Looks like a chafe from somewhere in the distant past was enough to make it hair-thin and it just started leaking yesterday. Funny, I hadn't driven it in almost a week. Just happened to catch it withing an hour or two of when it started:
Attached Thumbnails URGENT: Help needed with fuel leak!-p0610100000.jpg   URGENT: Help needed with fuel leak!-p0610100001.jpg  
Old 10-06-2010, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's good that AZ had an inexpensive fuel line repair kit for your car. That's a lot better than spending $150 for one from GM.

Originally Posted by DAVE00
try to find it on gmpartsdirect.com as you will probably save some coin over the stealership.
GMPD charges high shipping rates and their shipping is so slow. I use monsterpartsonline.com and they have fast affordable shipping and much lower prices than a local dealer. They are a Pontiac dealer in Pennsylvania and I always get great service from them.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

Resurrect an old thread...

Exact same thing happened. This time I can see what look like critter teeth marks in a couple of spots near the perforation. What the hell likes the taste of plastic fuel line in the southeast? It's got to be either possum, squirrel or chipmunk looking at the marks. Anybody ever see this? Weird. WTF?

Bought the same kit as last time, cut to length where the last barb is. Bad thing is I lost about 4 1/2 gallons of fuel. Damn near bone dry...
Old 06-10-2011, 03:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JB weld...

Quick Reply: URGENT: Help needed with fuel leak!