Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interesting X-pipe setup in Carcraft article

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2004, 12:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Interesting X-pipe setup in Carcraft article

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/69238/

We left the car at Magnaflow for about a week, and when we came back we found that after some preliminary testing, the guys had built a really trick system consisting of 2-½-inch tubing from the header collectors into the X-pipe, 3-inch out of the X flaring into 3½-inch tubing running for about 26 inches before necking back down into a pair of 3-inch mufflers with turn-downs. The theory behind this design is that it will keep the velocity of the exhaust gases moving quickly through the headers into the X-pipe to maximize the scavenging effect, while the larger-diameter tubing ahead of the mufflers prevents the gasses from stacking up as they pass through the mufflers to avoid excessive backpressure in the system.

This 5.0 is making about what a stock to lightly modded LS1 makes at the rear wheels. This was a custom job by magnaflow so I'm sure they did their homework for the price they charged carcraft for a tig welded SS exhaust It's interesting they used the 2.5" pipe, but even more interesting they used 3.5" before the mufflers and 4" for the turndowns.

Last edited by FAST LS1; 01-31-2004 at 12:23 PM.
Old 01-31-2004, 10:09 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very interesing. We could all do 3.5" after the X but I think it will be tight under there. Especially depending on torque arm and driveshaft loop placement.
Old 01-31-2004, 10:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is a very nice clean looking set-up!

I have drawn up a similar set-up for my car once the H/C swap is done!

I plan on using Mac's with a pair of cats placed as close to collectors as possible, than 2.5" pipe from the cats to the X and then from the X to right in front of the rear tires 3"inch pipe, no mufflers whatsoever!

It should look kinda like the 1970's Mopar E-body A.A.R Cuda's and Challengers side exhaust.