Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In need of some advice/help ???

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 05:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In need of some advice/help ???

So I was out cruising my car and whilst on the highway I decided to put my foot in it. dropped my a4 into 3rd at about 65 mph and let it eat till the spedo was indicating 130. After I lifted my foot, the engine died, so I put it in neutral and start it back up. it takes a bit fut fires back up with a knockin noise that sounds very hollow like when my valve cover spacers slid down and were contacting the rockers. The car tried to over heat as I limped it home as it wouldnt idle and took some throttling to keep it running. After getting off the freeway the temp came back to normal, but it still doesnt want to idle. Using a stethoscope I determined the noise to be coming from the passenger side sounding like its under the valve cover. So I take off the valve cover and check that everything is clearing the head and spacer ok. I notice that it looks like the #5 exhaust rocker is hitting the head. So I take off that pair of rockers and can see that the rocker was not hitting the head, but it was very close, and that one of the trunion bushings was in a little too far letting the rocker move around a bit too much. I marked and gave some more clearance to the rocker and head, repositioned the trunion bushing, and put everything back together being extra careful to make sure everything is clearing the rockers. start it back up and still have the noise. Can you start the car with the valve covers off, or is oil going to squirt everywhere. Any ideas?
Old 10-25-2010, 05:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

do you have harden push rods?maybe replace the trunnion bearings.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:46 PM
Teching In

I have trick flow chromoly push rods
Old 10-26-2010, 10:52 AM
FormerVendor

Check The springs? Litters?
Old 10-26-2010, 07:55 PM
Staging Lane

whats litters LOL JK