Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New here and in need of cam/ internal advice! Plz Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 11:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New here and in need of cam/ internal advice! Plz Help

Thanks in advance to all that may have some advice!

I am new to building fuel injected motors specifically the ls1. I have a 1998 SS with about 79k miles. It had a severe tick from a hollowed lifter from a broken rod. After a new set of lifters and comp cam rods shes all good. I am now looking to go back in and make a cam upgrade and headers. I was wondering what the best combos may be. I wanna go with longtubes as I ride at stock and maybe looking for a 2" drop down the road and think this will clear. As far as the cam goes what would be a good place to start? Will a cam swap make it necessary for an intake/ TB upgrade? Is there a cam that will allow me to make decent power without breaking the bank? Also when swapping a cam on these will it be mandatory for a mild cam to get head work like new springs and so forth? I'm trying to stay in a budget for now and wanna make more power than the rest of these cats in town!

AGAIN THANKS!
Old 10-26-2010, 11:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a lot of information if you search and in the stickies, but Ill give you a quick run down.

You need to research cam specs so that you can pick one suited to your needs and wants.

I went with a torquer v3 cam in my ls1 from texas speed and I loved it. It was a great cam at 231/234 .644/.598 111lsa. I think the lift on it was a bit excessive and it did prove to be as i broke 4 valve springs. I would pick something in the same range again in a second, but with maybe .600ish lift.

You probably have the ls1 intake which is quite restrictive. It may make sense to move up to a fast 90/90 combination or at least the ls6 intake (300$ish used) and reuse your tb.

If you go with a cam like the torquer v3, you need new springs, don't skimp on springs as cheaper ones have been known to break.

In addition, i would get a ported oil pump or ls6 oil pump, ls2 timing chain, new pushrods, and the springs. Should work well. Expect to pay a grand + headers.

A tune would be necessary as well.

There are guy who have run cams like the hot cam and the cheaTR cam (maybe even with stock springs) but imo if you do it, do it right.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the heads up I realized I may be in the wrong spot for my questions and also had not found all the getting started info. I am going to look through all that info as well!