Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Polyfill Ratio? Subthump Stealth + Alpine SWS-1043D?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 11:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Polyfill Ratio? Subthump Stealth + Alpine SWS-1043D?

I just purchased my new setup. I'm taking the Monsoon amp & HU out and replacing it with a Sony CDX-GT740UI and Alpine PDX-5 and replacing 4 speakers. Please, no comments about how bad Sony is...they had the best UI and that was my #1 concern. I assumed any aftermarket would be better than stock, so I can't lose there!

ANYWAY...I did a little bit of research on products, but the entire world of car audio is new to me. I know some general concepts because I'm big into home theater, but I just found out today from a friend about "Polyfill" and cubic feet of the enclosures (in HT world, you just buy a brand name sub...period).

I bought the Subthump Stealth box which says 0.6 cubic feet volume, and Crutchfield says that the Alpine SWS-1043D has an ideal sealed box volume of 1 cubic foot.

The reason I got this sub is because of a friend's recommendation of Alpine, and a search finding that several people bought Alpine Type S subs in stealthboxes on this forum and had nothing but good things to say, but this 0.4 cubic feet deficiency is worrying me. Do I have anything to worry about?

Also, searching has found that the common ratio is 1lb Polyfill per cubic foot of volume. But how do I interpret this? My stealthbox is 0.6 cubic feet. Since the sub is optimal at 1 ft^3, should I fill it with 0.4 x 16oz = 6.4oz of Polyfill? Or do I have to take into account the volume taken up by the actual subwoofer cone?

Did I make a mistake buying this sub with too high of a volume requirement?
Old 10-26-2010, 11:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Alpine recommends .65 to 1.5 cu.ft. per sub. With 9.6oz (9 to 10 oz) of poly fill it should put you a little above the .65cu.ft. minimum, and still sound good in your car.

Quick Reply: Polyfill Ratio? Subthump Stealth + Alpine SWS-1043D?