Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Stock wire harness good for amp?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 01:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock wire harness good for amp?

So i finally got around to my install on new car, first thing was to run wires and whatnot.. After i ran the power wire and was disconnecting the Monsoon amp i got the thought of using the stock wire harness rather than running all new wires.. Lazy yes, Efficient possibly.. So i wen about soldering on extension wires to the harness and home made rcas to connect it to Amps.. Mind you right now i am suffering from speaker whine, and the troubleshooting is beginning.

in summary, 2 questions:

Right side a bad spot for amp wire? In last car i had 2 6 gauge wires running on both sides, this time im doing a 4 gauge main wire and splitting to 4 6 gauge sub wires for the amps (got only 2 hooked up now )

Is stock wire harness good enough to push 100-220w to satellite speakers

(got tons of pics of everything if needed xD)
Old 11-05-2010, 05:28 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Home made RCA's may have something to do with it. I would also take a close look at your ground wire. It should be as short as possible.
Just running new wire would have eliminated the trouble shooting.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ +1
Old 11-05-2010, 08:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a feeling it was the ground wire, first i had it to the tail light ground, had a whine, then i made a new ground spot on the metal next to spare tire, still whining... Wondering if i double ground the amps? or are both these spots just bad

pic included of current.. tested it with only the satellite amp grounded, not sub amp, and it still whined..

*edit* Ignore the wire mess around it that was a wip picture
Attached Thumbnails Stock wire harness good for amp?-ground.jpg